What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Quality Manager Position Description

Started by , Jun 28 2021 02:35 AM
5 Replies

Hi, I have a very outdated position description.  After a few conversations with Management regarding how about updating my position description!  They have responded with -- Sure write a new one! A bit of background - Quality Manager in a factory with 3 different lines.  1 microbiologist and 2 QCs are in my department.  We have 22000 plus many customer quality standards to comply to.  There is just about an audit a month from one of the customers.  Internal to external audits; validation, verification, compliance; staff training; label setting; continuous improvement to day to day existence is the bones of my job. But what am I missing.  I really want to use this opportunity to put on paper the vast array of responsibilities a Quality Manager! Looking forward to your help and suggestions!Thanking you, Jan

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Has anyone ever heard of Quality being head of Operations as well? Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Supplier Quality SOP - Requirement for communication timeframe Food Safety and Quality Culture Presentation
[Ad]

product release

product sampling 

program maintenance

regulatory updates

Of the top of my head, I would add the above

and if you're feeling cheeky, general problem solver should be added to the list!

2 Likes

Do you look after any supplier approval, HACCP, TACCP, VACCP, other initialisms etc?
If so, stick any and all of those in there too.

If you think it's justified then you could potentially also add QA/regulatory/technical support to other departments.

A re-write is a great opportunity to remind your boss(es) of how many different things a QA Manager needs to juggle ;)

This is v tricky as every site is very different. 

I had to recently do this as I left and my employer wanted an up to date job desc. to advertise fir my role. 

It is hard because lets be honest we all think we do everything. 

If you think you are forgetting things, just go through your day as you normally would but write down what you are doing every time you change task. 

One trick I've used in the past is to have a word doc open when I job search (at home, you shouldn't job search while at work) and copy/paste the items from their job descriptions that I currently (or have done at a previous position) into the word doc. Every year or so I'll go through that document and update my own resume from that list if I think it showcases a more marketable experience/skill set. You might want to just sit down and go through a bunch of job postings, you will probably end up saying 'oh, I do that, and that. I like how that's worded, I definitely do that!'

My guess is you will end up with TOO much material, I typically do.

1 Thank

I have found this is such a double edge sword.  While we would like to think that the higher ups know our job and our worth my history is that as long audits are passed and everything looks good at the end of the day my past CEOs and business owners leave me be for the most part.  It isn't until things start going south that they want to see job descriptions as well as those under us in the org chart.  If you put too much on the job description you become responsible for not catching (or someone on your team) not catching every small mistake.  If you leave it too vague then things get piled on because "well look how light your job is."  I really like Tim's suggestion - keep it current and appealing to the current food safety climate.  Good luck!

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Has anyone ever heard of Quality being head of Operations as well? Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Supplier Quality SOP - Requirement for communication timeframe Food Safety and Quality Culture Presentation Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System? How to become a Food Quality Assurance Manager or an Food Quality Auditor? European Standards for Food: Ensuring Safety and Quality Harmonised Standards and Food Safety: Ensuring Quality and Compliance Back in quality after a 2-year hiatus