What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to carry out Label Reconciliation?

Started by , Jun 24 2021 10:54 AM
9 Replies

HI! Can anyone give me an idea of how label reconciliation can be done? Thank you in advance.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Mention word Real fruit on candy label
[Ad]

HI!

Can anyone give me an idea of how label reconciliation can be done?

Thank you in advance.

Can try these -

https://www.ifsqn.co...on/#entry172243

https://www.ifsqn.co...ry/#entry173889

Documented label inspection prior to production runs, at product changeover activities.

Final signing off by QA & production and end of production.

reconciliation to me means, ensuring you can account for all the labels you have so that they cannot be used for nefarious purposes

I.e.  an incoming label log (where they are verified as correct and number) and then any labels that need to be destroyed or returned/refused for any reason and ensuring the method of destruction (i/e shredding) makes them unusable

My understanding label reconciliations are performed to ensure the right label is used for the right product & the most current label is used, with up-to-date ingredients, allergens, etc.

1/3 of all recalls are due to labeling issues, so this is more of an effort to minimize using the wrong label.

Having production & QA sign off indicated both parties were aware the correct label was used and product is not "adulterated".

I wish SQF would be more careful with the language   Reconciliation is an accounting term......

Yes MKE, you are correct.......right label on right product

which could easily be covered off with the normal QA checks

We also have a check on the operations record that changeovers are verified by a 2nd person 

This is posted in SQF food section but just to be sure, this isn't for a pharma (USP) grade product, correct?

This is posted in SQF food section but just to be sure, this isn't for a pharma (USP) grade product, correct?

I am going to guess it IS SQF/Food related.

Label Reconciliation is a new feature in SQF Ed 9 this year, with vague methods of enforcing it. How I have interpreted this is along the lines of...

In order to prevent Food Fraud, we must ensure our labels aren't sneaking out to be used on sub-standard product. So a check on the quantities used should be done each run, day, week or whatever. BUT I could be wrong, wrong, wrong

I am going to guess it IS SQF/Food related.

Label Reconciliation is a new feature in SQF Ed 9 this year, with vague methods of enforcing it. How I have interpreted this is along the lines of...

In order to prevent Food Fraud, we must ensure our labels aren't sneaking out to be used on sub-standard product. So a check on the quantities used should be done each run, day, week or whatever. BUT I could be wrong, wrong, wrong

This is the way we dealt with it during my previous employer, but that was Dietary Supplements. We also would deface any labels that we had to throw away for extra protection.

For SQF 9.0 here at my current workplace I just instituted the same line of thinking. We have a Packaging Issuance and Reconciliation form and we also have a form for a 30 minute check that I have operators look that we have the correct packaging, lot number, expiration date, case pack info, and fill weight is recorded at the same time. 

We are a small bulk manufacturer and print our own labels in house prior to each batch. The printer documents how many labels are printed. The cook that applies the label  to the pail/drum documents on the prod sheet line that reads:

Labels Printed________Labels Used (including  one applied to the back of the prod sheet)_________Labels Destroyed_______

The numbers printed have to equal the number used and destroyed.

2 Likes1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Mention word Real fruit on candy label Label requirements for food manufactured for restaurant use? Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA) Question about a Misleading label SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation Label Reconciliation problem SQF edition 9