What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is printing press humidifier water testing required?

Started by , May 28 2021 07:48 PM

We recently had our annual audit for BRC for packaging and was cited for not testing the distilled water we use in the humidifiers used on the printing presses. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Do I need to test the water, or do swabbing on the humidifiers?

How often would I test the water if I needed to go that route - every gallon jug?

Clause 4.3.1:

All water used in the processing of the products or equipment cleaning shall be potable or suitably treated to prevent contamination.

I once told this to a carton box supplier and they were really surprised too.

3 Replies

We recently had our annual audit for BRC for packaging and was cited for not testing the distilled water we use in the humidifiers used on the printing presses. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Do I need to test the water, or do swabbing on the humidifiers?

How often would I test the water if I needed to go that route - every gallon jug?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Water Sampling BRCGS Requirement: Testing Metal Detectable Items on All Metal Detectors? Ice Pop HACCP & Microbiological Testing Sulfa and Tetra testing Coverage for knobs, sensors, and electrical plugs to protect from water damage due to sanitation
[Ad]

I would reach out to the bottler and request a LOG and not test the water

Humidifiers however are known to be a cesspool of yuck. Have you ever swabbed the humidifier?  It is the item that should have been flagged, IMHO

I don't know much about your process but I would recommend you get a cert from the bottler, and test the humidifier. You should honestly be doing that to your humidifier at home anyways. That stuff is gross.

Clause 4.3.1:

All water used in the processing of the products or equipment cleaning shall be potable or suitably treated to prevent contamination.

I once told this to a carton box supplier and they were really surprised too.

Similar Discussion Topics
Water Sampling BRCGS Requirement: Testing Metal Detectable Items on All Metal Detectors? Ice Pop HACCP & Microbiological Testing Sulfa and Tetra testing Coverage for knobs, sensors, and electrical plugs to protect from water damage due to sanitation What food safety risks are associated with diluting room-temperature sauce with filtered water for sous vide cooking? How should the 4.6 IFS Broker requirement be implemented for outsourced water production? How can a U.S. dietary supplement manufacturer find a representative in Canada for NPN registration, and is it actually required? Is air quality testing required for a facility using propylene glycol in chillers, and what are the considerations for an SQF audit? Legionella Risk Assessment in Water System