What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do we need a specification sheet for non-direct contact boxes?

Started by , Apr 07 2021 01:57 PM

Hi, Caroline;

No, they do not have to be GFSI but they still are required to meet regulatory guidance and should be able to demonstrate this is some manner via the Approved Supplier Program (2.3.4)

I have always maintained specifications for corrugated master cartons (dimensions, additives, ECT, preprint/color, etc.), However no auditor has ever looked for this beyond direct (primary) packaging but it is a good practice as a continuity measure. Here is the code from 9th ed. without the guidance part:

2.3.2.6 Verification of packaging shall include a certification of all packaging that comes

into direct contact with food meets either regulatory acceptance or approval criteria.
Documentation shall either be in the form of a declaration of continued guarantee
of compliance, a certificate of conformance, or a certificate from the applicable
regulatory agency.
In the absence of a certificate of conformance, certificate of analysis, or letter of
guarantee, analyses to confirm the absence of potential chemical migration from the
packaging to the food contents shall be conducted and records maintained.

2 Replies

Hi everyone

Quick question : 

We are under SQF system, and I can't recall this information  ; 

For material which aren't in direct contact with our product (boxes), do we need to have a specification sheet for that ?

I have the supplier's garantee letter filled but no specification sheet for the '"box". 

Also, do these supplier (which supplies non-direct contact material) need to be GFSI ? 

Thank you !!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SPC swabbing for Environmental Monitoring of non-food contact surface APC limit in HPP finished juice & Spore specification in finished HPP juice Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact specification 2.3.2.8 Reuse of boxes for shipping
[Ad]

Hi, Caroline;

No, they do not have to be GFSI but they still are required to meet regulatory guidance and should be able to demonstrate this is some manner via the Approved Supplier Program (2.3.4)

I have always maintained specifications for corrugated master cartons (dimensions, additives, ECT, preprint/color, etc.), However no auditor has ever looked for this beyond direct (primary) packaging but it is a good practice as a continuity measure. Here is the code from 9th ed. without the guidance part:

2.3.2.6 Verification of packaging shall include a certification of all packaging that comes

into direct contact with food meets either regulatory acceptance or approval criteria.
Documentation shall either be in the form of a declaration of continued guarantee
of compliance, a certificate of conformance, or a certificate from the applicable
regulatory agency.
In the absence of a certificate of conformance, certificate of analysis, or letter of
guarantee, analyses to confirm the absence of potential chemical migration from the
packaging to the food contents shall be conducted and records maintained.

Thank you ! 

That answers very well my question :)  Have a nice day !

Hi, Caroline;

Similar Discussion Topics
SPC swabbing for Environmental Monitoring of non-food contact surface APC limit in HPP finished juice & Spore specification in finished HPP juice Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact specification 2.3.2.8 Reuse of boxes for shipping Use of Simple Green and Formula 409 in indirect product contact surfaces Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces Microbiological specification dairy products Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces