What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Knife and Blade Procedure. Maintenance daily lookover?

Started by , Feb 08 2021 12:59 PM
3 Replies

11.7.3.8 Knives and cutting instruments used in processing and packaging operations shall be controlled, kept clean, and well maintained. Snap-off blades shall not be used in manufacturing or storage areas. Need some help in this section of SQF. I'm in the process of coming up with the procedure but I'm seeing multiple places that the maintenance team needs a check off sheet for all machine blades daily that they're in good condition. Does anyone have some examples?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number?
[Ad]

Hmmm in many places I have worked in, did not need Maintenance team overlooking the blade condition. We had our SQF practitioner or quality person or a supervisor/manager in production signing them off. 

You did mention "machine blades", which is different than knives and cutting instruments used in processing/packaging. For machinery, yes Maintenance. But if knives or blades are for example used to cut open bags of raw material, no need for maintenance, like I mentioned above, SQFP or someone from quality/production.

1 Thank

Yes, I'm in process of a QC check off of the knives and box cutters, but the machine blades, I'm curious on if they need a daily form, weekly form, do i need to list all machines with blades in the facility? I just haven't seen any examples so i feel like I'm going in blind.

The machine blades would be part of the "machine PM program". So when they check other things on the machines, blades would be one of them. And about frequency, it depends. Some machines require a daily, some require a weekly. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Knife Control Policy Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Is it necessary to give each knife its own serial number? Knife Control for Delivery Drivers Bladeless Knife Program Folding knife that would be approved for use in the production? Knife Holder Magnet- Zone 1 or Zone 2 Location? Knife Tips - PRP, CP or CCP