What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is filtering a CCP in the production and packing of boxed wine?

Started by , Feb 02 2021 04:19 PM
6 Replies

Hi

I have a supplier who has sent me their HACCP study for the production and packing of wine (boxed) -  filtering is detailed as a processing step but not a CCP - surely this is a step specifically designed to reduce or eliminate a hazard and is therefore a CCP.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How should the 4.6 IFS Broker requirement be implemented for outsourced water production? Is an egg packing room considered an open product area or an enclosed area in a food safety context? Extending the production time Are hand dryers or paper towels preferred at handwashing sinks in a food production environment? What are the essential micro testing requirements for high-care fruit packing?
[Ad]

Perhaps for THEM, it is not regarded as they may have preventive controls in place that takes care of that hazard before reaching that process step, therefore the step not being a CCP. 

You may want to ask them directly about it.

Thanks

I have - just waiitng for a reply - I dont see anything on their plan that suggests that they do though

Hi

I have a supplier who has sent me their HACCP study for the production and packing of wine (boxed) -  filtering is detailed as a processing step but not a CCP - surely this is a step specifically designed to reduce or eliminate a hazard and is therefore a CCP.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

Wine filtration can be about visual quality rather than control of physical hazards, and also possibly for control of spoilage organisms (albeit sometimes as an unintended benefit). I'd also suggest talking to them to understand their process better.

Hi

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

C

hi, most certainly not unheard of.  We have a beverage company that boxes liquids and the filter is not a CCP using (as noted by the Food Sciencetist) there are steps already taken that make it a non-ccp.

I believe this would be covered by the section G "Foreign Material Control Program " in your prerequisites. 

carolynn

I worked in a regional brewery for close to 30 years and familiar with beverage HACCP plans.  Filtration was not a CCP.  It is a quality attribute, not a food safety attribute.

Similar Discussion Topics
How should the 4.6 IFS Broker requirement be implemented for outsourced water production? Is an egg packing room considered an open product area or an enclosed area in a food safety context? Extending the production time Are hand dryers or paper towels preferred at handwashing sinks in a food production environment? What are the essential micro testing requirements for high-care fruit packing? Can Inhalers and Emergency Prescribed Medications be Allowed in Food Production Areas under SQF and FDA Requirements? Developing a Sampling Plan for Leasing Space Above Production: Ensuring Microbial Safety and Compliance Drinking Water in the production area Working environment in IQF Packing Room Researching Viscometers for use on the Production Floor