What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is there a requirement to declare the origin name of an enzyme used in the product?

Started by , Oct 28 2020 08:34 AM
2 Replies

Hi, can anyone help to explain more and clarify based on FSSC 22000, is there a requirement that we should declare the origin name of an enzyme used in the product? Must we declare it? For example I have a product with a hemicellulase enzyme. Can I just declare that it is just made up from hemicellulase;microbial or do I need to mention it is from hemicellulase; Aspergillus Niger? Hoping for someone to help thank you in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Leak over finished product FSSC 22000 V6.0 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 d) i Supplier Quality SOP - Requirement for communication timeframe
[Ad]

We manufacture fermented dairy products using enzyme in some of them and we're also FSSC certified. There's no standard requirement to declare origin name of enzyme, common name "microbial enzyme" would be sufficient.

Hi naderk,

generally spoken declaration is dependent on the region of distribution and the corresponding food law.

In don't know any law where the organism where the enzyme derives from has to be declared. 

In detail I can tell that is not necessary under European law. In EC only a few enzymes have to be declared (they have an E-number and are defined as additive).

Most enzymes are used as processing aid, e.g. in any raw material used to manufacture a product (-> carry over or no activity is present) or in processing a product where the enzyme does not have any function in the finished product.

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Leak over finished product FSSC 22000 V6.0 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 d) i Supplier Quality SOP - Requirement for communication timeframe Extended Producer Responsibility laws (EPR Laws) related to product packaging and, depending on the state, certain paper and food service ware product Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Product testing during release as a CCP Releasing Product Prior to Positive Release Being Completed for Customer Use of Simple Green and Formula 409 in indirect product contact surfaces