What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Anyone using the older style dial temperature probes? And are these probes acceptable under the SQF standard?

Started by , Apr 21 2020 02:14 PM
1 Reply

I have a question about temperature probes. My facility has a hard time not breaking temperature probes we use to take temperatures on incoming and outgoing product (we are a 3PL distributor). Right now we are using digital thermometers, but due to what seems to be a constant loss of probes due to breakage, the cost is starting to add up. My question is, are any other warehouses using the older style dial probes? They are obviously cheaper, but I also feel there are potential flaws related to calibration in them. Are these types of probes acceptable under a SQF standard as well? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? 2 CCPs with the same minimum temperature requirements What food safety risks are associated with diluting room-temperature sauce with filtered water for sous vide cooking? Acceptable limit of arsenic in Jamaican sea moss What are acceptable overage limits for potassium in dietary supplements?
[Ad]

Dial probes are used in many companies, not to actually "probe" the product but to place the stick between boxes. 

The issue is they are many times improperly used, out of calibration, etc.

If you plan on using a probe type (stick) get a commercial grade self-calibrating digital - such as those from Thermoworks.

SQF specifies that you must check temperatures, it does not dictate however what instrument to use to check with.

I am assuming by the way that your employees are not actually penetrating the food product to check temperatures and not sure why your current instruments are breaking so often.. the assumption is they are being used improperly or they of inferior grade.

Similar Discussion Topics
Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? 2 CCPs with the same minimum temperature requirements What food safety risks are associated with diluting room-temperature sauce with filtered water for sous vide cooking? Acceptable limit of arsenic in Jamaican sea moss What are acceptable overage limits for potassium in dietary supplements? What are acceptable tolerances for Rare Earth Magnets in a food facility? Cadmium standard for Milkfish products composed of different ingredients For spill-proof bottles, is it acceptable to use them for liquids other than clear water, such as squash or cordial provided by the company? What is an Acceptable LOQ for Peanut Allergen Testing in Canada? Chocolate Melting Kettles - Holding temperature & cleaning requirements