What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Thawing/Tempering Safe temperatures of Frozen 2,000 Lbs totes of Chicken Broth

Started by , Apr 21 2020 01:58 PM
4 Replies

I have a question.

I recently changed jobs and this is a new industry for me. I went from RTE poultry production to something completely different and I'm still learning.

My Question is about Tempering- 

We receive Frozen 2,000 Lbs totes of Chicken Broth and i wrote a program for thawing in which I included  maintaining the product temperature at 40°F during the thawing process and 40-50°F during production. (the final Product will go thru a Kill step/CCP)

I can't find any literature/ supporting documentation for me to use the 50°F temperature in my procedure. I know i had it a couple years ago in one of my other jobs but I can't remember. Can any of you help me with your expertise.

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products Thawing Meat at Room Temperature How to check thawing effects on the quality and safety of the product? Thawing fully package goods in water bath Thawing Process-Herbs
[Ad]

Have you tried looking on the FDA's website? I believe they may have some guidance on thawing product in a safe manner. 

Hi,

For this qestion we need cosider about the temperature danger zone.to minimize the risk of microbial contamination thaw food need to be keep at 41F (5C) or lower.

Thanks

EC Consultant

I have a question.

I recently changed jobs and this is a new industry for me. I went from RTE poultry production to something completely different and I'm still learning.

My Question is about Tempering- 

We receive Frozen 2,000 Lbs totes of Chicken Broth and i wrote a program for thawing in which I included  maintaining the product temperature at 40°F during the thawing process and 40-50°F during production. (the final Product will go thru a Kill step/CCP)

I can't find any literature/ supporting documentation for me to use the 50°F temperature in my procedure. I know i had it a couple years ago in one of my other jobs but I can't remember. Can any of you help me with your expertise.

Thank you.

https://www.fda.gov/.../80637/download

Take a look at Chapter 15 and staph aureus.  While chicken broth isn't a 'hydrated batter" perse, it does have a high Aw and falls under the same concept of high Aw, close-to-neutral-pH, and loads of stuff for bacteria to eat.   Since it's going through a kill step you primarily need to worry about toxin formation versus bacterial growth.  In this instance, the FDA reference does state <50F is unlikely to form a toxin.  You likely won't need to be worried about outgrowth of any vegetative pathogens provided your kill step is validated.  

I will qualify this whole blooming thing in that I'm in bakery, not meat, so I'm not the right source to say that Staph aureus would be your only concern for sure in that industry as far as outgrowth before a kill step. 

1 Thank

Thank you all for your Help. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products Thawing Meat at Room Temperature How to check thawing effects on the quality and safety of the product? Thawing fully package goods in water bath Thawing Process-Herbs Calculating time and temperature for thawing a certain volume of frozen meat? Marinate the frozen chicken vs Marinate after thawing Questions concerning the thawing of aseptic juice concentrates? Combining Refrigerator + Cold Water Thawing Thawing of Food SQF Ed 8.1 - 11.7.3 or Ed 9 11.7.2