What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Requirements for QUAT testing UK/EU

Started by , Mar 20 2020 01:23 PM
1 Reply

Hi all, 

We currently use QUATs as a disinfectant - but I am wondering if we are required to test the food product which comes into contact with in on the food contact surface? 

I know the legislation states it must be 0.1mg/kg max QUATs in a food, but I do wonder as we use it, is it a requirement to test the actual food? 

Or can we just test the chemical to prove it is within the limit? 

This is a dairy product if that makes a difference - Cheese.

Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Micro Testing requirements Food Safety Requirements Food Safety Requirements Can Inhalers and Emergency Prescribed Medications be Allowed in Food Production Areas under SQF and FDA Requirements? Documentation Requirements for BRCGS Non-Conformance Summary
[Ad]

I know why you're still using quats, they're great against Listeria!

On product contact though, two things you could do.  You could validate, using a reasonable number of samples that you are not picking up a high level of quats in the food above the MRL.  This is not necessarily going to come back clear.  Cheese as a fatty food absorbs hydrophobic chemicals really well.  I remember getting a positive test on a couple of samples.

So another solution is to stop using quats.  Problem is quats are really good.  So there is a proposed third way.  Keep using quats on your floor and non quats on surfaces.  You can use biguanide based chemicals.  Not quite as good but it works.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Micro Testing requirements Food Safety Requirements Food Safety Requirements Can Inhalers and Emergency Prescribed Medications be Allowed in Food Production Areas under SQF and FDA Requirements? Documentation Requirements for BRCGS Non-Conformance Summary Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements New Consultation Opens for GFSI Benchmarking Requirements v2024 Testing Weight Requirements for Composite Samples: Should We Consult the Customer? Chocolate Melting Kettles - Holding temperature & cleaning requirements Chinese Labelling Requirements