What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

pH & Water Activity test to determine if time/temperature control

Started by , Sep 30 2019 01:18 PM
4 Replies

Good morning All,

Im a bit confused. I had a water activity and pH test done to determine if my product requres time/temperture control.

My results are: 

• pH : 6.34
  • Water Act. : .939

The FDA Food Code chart is posted below. If I am following the chart correctly, it says that it is a non-TCS food* which mean it is not required to control time/temperature. Am I correct? Please inform me if not..

Thanks everyone.

Attached Files

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? 2 CCPs with the same minimum temperature requirements What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? Coverage for knobs, sensors, and electrical plugs to protect from water damage due to sanitation What food safety risks are associated with diluting room-temperature sauce with filtered water for sous vide cooking?
[Ad]

No it says product assessment required.  It would be bottom right corner (i.e. most dangerous) wouldn't it?

No it says product assessment required.  It would be bottom right corner (i.e. most dangerous) wouldn't it?

Yes you are right.

I was reading the chart incorrectly.  :shutup:

You may find the attached study helpful as well.  I used it in a previous life with a wide range of products having a wide range of pH and water activities.

Sorry for the highlighting...I couldn't find the original copy I had.

Yosali,

It does look like you have a low acid food which would required to be assessed by a processing authority (usually a university can do this for you), and then having that process filed with the FDA. Your native pH is above 4.6, and your water activity is above 0.85, so this is very high-risk product.

Be sure that you go through the process for this product.

Similar Discussion Topics
Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? 2 CCPs with the same minimum temperature requirements What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? Coverage for knobs, sensors, and electrical plugs to protect from water damage due to sanitation What food safety risks are associated with diluting room-temperature sauce with filtered water for sous vide cooking? How can you determine the overall risk rating in the SSAFE tool’s output sheet, and should a high rating in one area be considered high overall? How should the 4.6 IFS Broker requirement be implemented for outsourced water production? Legionella Risk Assessment in Water System Extending the production time What allergen labeling requirements apply to portion control packages for salad bars?