What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

At what % of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared?

Started by , Sep 27 2019 06:42 AM
4 Replies

Hi

At what percentage of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared? I have in my head 2% but I'm not certain on that.

One of our products contains yeast extract which is less than 1% of the final product - would this have to be declared?

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
INGREDIENT STATEMENT WHEN USING DRY FORM OF A INGREDIENT. Leak over finished product Extended Producer Responsibility laws (EPR Laws) related to product packaging and, depending on the state, certain paper and food service ware product Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form Honey in product does it require label warning for infants?
[Ad]

Hi

At what percentage of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared? I have in my head 2% but I'm not certain on that.

One of our products contains yeast extract which is less than 1% of the final product - would this have to be declared?

Thanks

This is US thread but maybe of interest -

https://www.ifsqn.co...minute-amounts/

Hi

Thanks

I'm not aware of a general threshold below which an ingredient doesn't need to be declared for labelling in the UK/EU - consider e.g. flavours used at 0.1%, additives used at <0.1% etc.

Is it possible that you're confusing this with the 2% threshold below which ingredients no longer need to be ordered in descending weight? (Point 6 of Part A of Annex VII of Regulation (EU) 1169/2011)

Or possibly the 2% threshold below which the constituent parts of compound ingredients do not require separate declaration, as defined under Point 2 of Part C of the same annex? 

Unless someone else has a reference with something I'm not familiar with, you'd definitely need to declare the yeast extract unless it's present as part of a composite ingredient subject to one of the exemptions in Part C of the annex noted above.

1 Thank

Agreed with pHruit. It sounds like the EU regs also match the FDA regs for labeling. In the US, there is no specified percentage for when you don't have to declare an ingredient for labeling either.

Play it safe and declare the yeast extract.

1 Thank

Hi,

for the EU: ingredient is ingredient, i.e. no limit. Very simple definition: Everything added intentionally is an ingredient.

Ingredients has to be listed in the list of ingredients in descending order based on the amount. Below 2 % the order is not defined. But of course all ingredients have to be listed.

Rgds

moskito

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
INGREDIENT STATEMENT WHEN USING DRY FORM OF A INGREDIENT. Leak over finished product Extended Producer Responsibility laws (EPR Laws) related to product packaging and, depending on the state, certain paper and food service ware product Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Product testing during release as a CCP FSMA 204 Final Rule USA Ingredient List- "Rubbed with..." in list Water as an ingredient? Releasing Product Prior to Positive Release Being Completed for Customer