What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Metal detector on new line

Started by , May 23 2019 05:44 PM
4 Replies

As I have previously mentioned we are building a small room to dedicate to packaging 8oz packages for Amazon fulfillment. The owner has decided that there does not need to be a metal detector after the product has been packaged because after production prior to bulk packaging in a 40# box for warehouse storage it goes through a metal detector. However the bulk boxes will be dumped into a stainless steel hopper and delivery system into the bags.

My argument is there are still metal working parts the product is coming into contact with after it goes through the metal detector. Am I correct in the need for a metal detector and if so what ways can I convince him of the need for a metal detector on this new packaging line?

thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS Requirement: Testing Metal Detectable Items on All Metal Detectors? Investigating Metal Detection Issues: Testing Metal Samples Searching for Used Metal Detector and New X-Ray Inspection Machine Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? If a customer reports finding metal in a product how should you decide whether to initiate a recall?
[Ad]

As I have previously mentioned we are building a small room to dedicate to packaging 8oz packages for Amazon fulfillment. The owner has decided that there does not need to be a metal detector after the product has been packaged because after production prior to bulk packaging in a 40# box for warehouse storage it goes through a metal detector. However the bulk boxes will be dumped into a stainless steel hopper and delivery system into the bags.

My argument is there are still metal working parts the product is coming into contact with after it goes through the metal detector. Am I correct in the need for a metal detector and if so what ways can I convince him of the need for a metal detector on this new packaging line?

thank you!

IMO: Agreed,

Inquire the owner how are you going to detect Metal shaving from the repackaging machine.

It should be considered as a separate processing line and should be handled as such, as the product ( my assumption based on what you wrote above) is exposed to all/many hazards again from its primary/bulk packaging.

Hope it helps.

1 Thank

If the original package is opened while you are handling it, then it is exposed to the hazards while it is open. Do you have anyone HACCP certified? They should be able to recognize the hazards and make a new hazard analysis which would then show your boss to get a MD.

1 Thank

larissa _ jackson: I am HACCP Certified. Good call on doing a hazard anaylsis. I will be able to make a new hazard anaylsis once all the pieces are together and in place once the room is built. I just managed to get my hands on documentation for the equipment for the room and the drawing schematics for the room but I am not positive how it is all going together. 

Dear Kerry,

Your risk assessment will give you an answer.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS Requirement: Testing Metal Detectable Items on All Metal Detectors? Investigating Metal Detection Issues: Testing Metal Samples Searching for Used Metal Detector and New X-Ray Inspection Machine Does the BRCGS standard require metal detection test packs to be locked up when not in use? If a customer reports finding metal in a product how should you decide whether to initiate a recall? CA 65 Heavy Metal Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Looking for recommendation of third-party subject matter X-ray-Metal Detector Guideline for select the Size of test piece of Metal Detector BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces