• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the requirements to become an SQF Practitioner?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
- - - - -

HRABI N
  • Banned
  • 0 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Tunisia
    Tunisia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

What are the requirements to become an SQF Practitioner? Are people required to register or obtain a practitioner certification?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

You MUST have a HACCP training with certification. You "may" take SQF related trainings but it's not really "required". But definitely better if you do not have the experience or much knowledge.

The SQF practitioner shall:

i. Be employed by the site as a company employee on a full-time basis; ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the site's SQF System; iii. Have completed a HACCP training course; iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and the requirements to implement and maintain an SQF System relevant to the site's scope of certification.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

What are the requirements to become an SQF Practitioner? Are people required to register or obtain a practitioner certification?

Years back there was  required by SQFI to take Practitioner training - but that is no longer required. What is required is to have through knowledge of the SQF Code as it applies to your operation.

Registration with SQFI is not required.

Qualifiers however are:

1. Must be HACCP certified - be prepared to show your certificate to the Auditor

2. Must be a full time employee at that location - SQF will also accept a floater that is in command of 2+ locations, but still full time

3. Must hold a position of responsiblity

The Food Scientist hit it good with i.

Also, keep in mind that a cover person (or what is known as provision to cover) is required - so you need a backup that has similar qualifications - knowledge of the system etc.

There is a course for Practitioners, however no certification - you get a course completion certificate.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 15 March 2019 - 01:41 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

Thanked by 1 Member:

AudreyB

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

Specific SQF code point 2.1.2.5:

2.1.2.5 The SQF practitioner shall:
i. Be employed by the site as a company employee on a full-time basis;
ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the site's SQF System;
iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;
iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and
v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and the requirements to implement and maintain an SQF System relevant to the site's scope of certification.

In relation to HACCP training, SQF also defines HACCP training as the following:
Training that meets the guidelines outlined in the Food and Agriculture Organization’s CODEX Alimentarius Commission. Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) System and Guidelines for its Application – Annex to CAC/RCP 1 – 1969, Rev. 4-2003), – “A system, which identifies, evaluates and controls hazards which are significant for food safety.” And this training shall be: 1. Recognized as a HACCP training course used extensively in a country. 2. Administered and delivered by an institution recognized as a food safety training center of excellence. 3. A minimum of two days (16 hours) in duration, or equivalent. 4. The acquired knowledge of the candidate shall be assessed as part of the training program.

Make sure you have the SQF Practitioner's certifications and training on file (the auditor will ask for them). It is also very important as SQFconsultant noted above to have a back up defined, trained and aware of his / her role. 

stickymess

Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

What would be a good course to take to be able to be the SQF Practitioner?  I am not finding a specific becoming an "SQF Practitioner" course.  Would an "Implementing SQF" course suffice for SQF requirments?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

What would be a good course to take to be able to be the SQF Practitioner?  I am not finding a specific becoming an "SQF Practitioner" course.  Would an "Implementing SQF" course suffice for SQF requirments?

First thing you need to make sure if you having completed a HACCP course. (Thats a requirement to be an SQFP). You can take the "Implementing SQF" as well (though not required), I prefer taking it if you have no prior experience or exposure to SQF. Hope that helps! :) 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:19 PM

I see this is an old thread, but  does the above advice apply to the substitute practitioner for Edition 9? It seems like it would. Thanks!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:28 PM

Nope---the requirements for both are now---from V9

Step 2: Designate an SQF Practitioner

The SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing requires that every certified site has a suitably qualified SQF practitioner to oversee the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the SQF System, including the system elements, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and food safety plans. The requirements for an SQF practitioner are described in the system elements, Part B: 2.1.1.4 and 2.1.1.5. You may choose to have more than one SQF practitioner to meet shift and operational requirements. An alternative staff member should also be identified to manage the SQF System in the absence of the designated SQF practitioner.

2.1 Training (optional) An “Implementing SQF Systems” training course is available online and through the SQFI network of licensed training centers. SQF practitioners, who are responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing, are encouraged to participate in a training course. The “Implementing SQF Systems” training course is not mandatory for SQF practitioners but is strongly recommended. Details of the training courses are available at sqfi.com. SQF practitioners are required to successfully complete HACCP training that is a minimum two-day duration and assessed. Training in other food industry disciplines, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), and Internal Auditing may also be beneficial, and licensed SQF training centers can provide details about the other training courses they provide.

The primary and substitute SQF practitioner shall:

i. Be employed by the site;

ii. Hold a position of responsibility related to the management of the site's SQF System;

iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;

iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and

v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing and the requirements to implement and maintain an SQF System relevant to the site's scope of certification

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

chartya3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I am already ISO22000:2018 certified lead auditor. But never did HACCP training .I have worked in HACCP certified industry for more than 5 years. I have implemented and have good knowledge of HACCP.

So now my question is, still do I have to do the HACCP course before applying for SQF training.

Thanks in advance

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:37 PM

In answer to Chartya3 question- the SQF Practitioner training does not require that you take a haacp training course.

Now, if you become an SQF Practitioner for a company you will need to have HACCP training to show proof of same to an SQF Auditor.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:53 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I am already ISO22000:2018 certified lead auditor. But never did HACCP training .I have worked in HACCP certified industry for more than 5 years. I have implemented and have good knowledge of HACCP.

So now my question is, still do I have to do the HACCP course before applying for SQF training.

Thanks in advance

You will need HACCP training if you are going to be an SQF Practitioner or a backup. We just had a GAP audit and the very first thing she asked for was my HACCP training (It was through AIB).  A bit later she asked for my Internal Auditor training but never asked to see my SQF certificate.  

I did the option of studying the crap out of the standard and only took the test so I'd have something with the words "SQF" and "certificate" on it.

chartya3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:02 PM

Thanks.

But I have training certificate of FSMS (iso22000) .This ISO22000 is international standard and its requirement is aligned with CODEX haccp.Its clearly mentioned on its first page.

ISO22000 (fsms) = HACCP+ PRP+CCP.

Then why not ?

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2024 - 02:56 PM

Does the certificate say "HACCP" on it?  If not, what can you show the auditor as proof of training?

I'd recommend contacting SQFI and asking them.  They are good at responding.  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2024 - 03:38 PM

Thanks.

But I have training certificate of FSMS (iso22000) .This ISO22000 is international standard and its requirement is aligned with CODEX haccp.Its clearly mentioned on its first page.

ISO22000 (fsms) = HACCP+ PRP+CCP.

Then why not ?

More accurately, ISO22000 is aligned with Codex Alimentarius.  Taken from their sales literature:  Food safety management - ISO 22000:2018

How does it relate to Codex Alimentarius?

Codex Alimentarius, also known as the “Food Code”, is an internationally recognized series of standards and guidelines referenced in many national laws, providing the foundation for most government authorities to ensure safe food for consumers. It is developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), a joint venture between the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). ISO 22000 is based on the Codex principles for food hygiene and this enables authorities to refer to ISO 22000 in national requirements and government inspections to ensure that all the criteria for food safety are met.

SQF's narrow and specific language requires HACCP certification.  It's plenty frustrating that my PCQI cert isn't accepted for this, but at least I have both certs to show off even if the material was redundant.

In addition, ISO 22000 is a cert in a specific management system that can be seen as competition towards SQF (ISO22000 isn't GFSI recognized, but FSSC 22000 is).  It would be like me trying to use my SQF certification with a BRC auditor.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users