What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bread aroma additives in commercial baking (UK)?

Started by , Feb 09 2019 03:43 AM
1 Reply

Hello

I'd like some help identifying a smell. A slightly unusual request but bear with me!

I'm a caterer based in the UK and would like to start producing a number of speciality "morning goods" (e.g. rolls, baguettes) on a fairly large scale.

I've had experience in commercial baking and am familiar with the usual range of emulsifiers/improvers/additives/etc. which are used, however one thing which eludes me is the commercial "fresh bread" aroma.

Commercial bakeries in the UK such as supermarkets etc. all produce goods with a recognisable and distinct "fresh bread" aroma. This is well beyond the usual aroma produced by baking bread, or from yeast/fermentation/etc. but I have yet to discover what it actually is. All I know is it is absolutely an additive used specifically to add an aroma during and after baking, but I can't find any suppliers.

A friend in a supermarket bakery has informed me the aroma comes from their bagged emulsifier powder - and I can confirm this, having sniffed it - but this arrives pre-mixed and ingredients are not disclosed.

Can anyone educate me on what additives are used specifically to add aroma and/or point me in the direction of a supplier?

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Standard Bread Baking Method Documents for Bread Quality Control team Low Acid Hermetically Sealed Bread Item pH of Bread Dough
[Ad]

Hmmm.... this is an unusual one!!..... I worked for the bakery category in a UK retailer & this wasn't ever discussed as a "thing" so I'd always assumed this was standard Mailard reaction stuff?...

However many bakery additives are produced by CSM - so if you could find a friendly contact on LinkedIn they may be able to advise what they put in their improvers to generate this odour?...

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Standard Bread Baking Method Documents for Bread Quality Control team Low Acid Hermetically Sealed Bread Item pH of Bread Dough Root cause and solution for sporadic complaints of mould with MAP bread Is an apple, cheese or bread GRAS? Rapid Micro test of bread ? Bulk frozen bread rolls weights Bread smells like nail polish remover