What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can anyone recommend a good system for batch coding?

Started by , Jan 17 2019 12:23 PM
4 Replies

We have a very fast paced cookie company and I am just starting to embark on the SQF journey.  I hired someone to help write the code for the desk audit but after that what do I need to do to move forward...to stay in compliance?

Also, as far as documentation....I am having a very hard time figuring out batch coding.  Can anyone recommend a good system I can put in place?  Thank you for youe help

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What are effective methods for sanitation of an RO system if high total plate count and pseudomonas aeruginosa are recurring issues? Legionella Risk Assessment in Water System Can anyone recommend a reliable company to conduct an SQF audit for a food ingredient? Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Is there a set points system for gmp and sqf audits?
[Ad]

The most straightforward way is to 

A) make up a product code for EACH finished good

B) Code each unit of finished product with that code + plus the date of production.

So you could mark your production sheets with a product code like

CC1 (chocolate chip 1 ounce)071719 (today's date)

That way you have ALL the ingredients that went into that batch on 1 piece of paper. Then sales would also need to use the same coding when product is sold. Now you have traceability from ingredient to your consumer.

There is some fantastic software out there where ingredients and finished goods (any rework if you have any) get scanned in and out to simplify things for you.

The batch code just needs to be an identifier that separates it from all other batches

Do you have any software systems in place that could integrate lot tracking and work orders? If not I'd suggest starting a spreadsheet to track both raw and finished goods with lot numbers from receiving/creation date out to an end date or ship date. Another option would be a Julian date (19017). Also consider an extra prefix in case you have a mixed lot so 19017A could represent product made today that contained sugar lot A and 19017B contains sugar lot B. If you run multiple shifts you could reflect that as well.

I am bias, but I would recommend you have a consultant visit to do a full gap/compliance consulting audit.

As to the other question - take a look at www.focus-works.com  makers of the SQF Sentinel system and systems for the baking industry and others.

Hi cookielady3,

I find this simple system works quite well:

Batch Traceability.png   486.8KB   1 downloads

Finished product would be identified by batch code and best before date.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
What are effective methods for sanitation of an RO system if high total plate count and pseudomonas aeruginosa are recurring issues? Legionella Risk Assessment in Water System Can anyone recommend a reliable company to conduct an SQF audit for a food ingredient? Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Is there a set points system for gmp and sqf audits? Opinion on Food Chain ID Management System Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System? Inclusion of Climate Change To Management system Standards Inclusion of Climate Change to Management System Standards Carrier Sent Finished Good Foodstuff on Trailer with 6.1 Poisons