What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Rapid/Accelerated Organoleptic testing

Started by , Nov 16 2018 08:23 AM
3 Replies

Good Morning,

I was recently asked he question by a colleague of mine if it was possible to carry out accelerate organoleptic testing of finished primary product. If a Best Before date is over 12 months, its a long time to wait to each end of life shelf life. I'm of process for Micro, but didn't know if anyone knew of anything for Organoleptic's? If there was an a Analytical method? And if someone like Campden would off the service.

The product would be low risk ambient bakery.

Look forward to the comments.

Steve

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Rapid plates vs agar plates High likelihood of failure of antibiotic rapid test kit as control measure Rapid Detection of Graphene and Ethleyn Oxide's Rapid Illegal dye testing Rapid Mycotoxin Test
[Ad]

Campden can certainly assist with this. Leatherhead too possibly, although they've changed their focus more towards regulatory affairs, and since they moved to the new site they seem to have far fewer analytical capabilities.
Reading Scientific could also be worth a call.

Generally the accelerated organoleptic testing will involve some level of heat (and possibly light, depending on the nature of the product/packaging) to increase the rate at which the reactions that drive the ageing process in the product occur, with the results determined by taste panelling or similar. It's not the most scientific process but can provide some useful insight on a far faster timescale than waiting months/years for products with a long life!

1 Thank

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I kind of thought this might be the case, I've used RSSL myself in a previous role.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I kind of thought this might be the case, I've used RSSL myself in a previous role.

Hi Stevie,

Not exactly OLQ and the precise procedure was "unavailable" but a UK customer of raw frozen seafood was able to give a (shelf-life) acceptability opinion within 2 weeks based on samples / accelerated incubation /  plate count data.

Similar Discussion Topics
Rapid plates vs agar plates High likelihood of failure of antibiotic rapid test kit as control measure Rapid Detection of Graphene and Ethleyn Oxide's Rapid Illegal dye testing Rapid Mycotoxin Test Rapid test for yeast and mold Rapid Test Vs Lab Test for Microbiological Parameter Rapid Micro test of bread ? InSite Rapid Enviromental Listeria Species Test (Hygiena) SQF clause 2.8.1.1 - Does anyone know of an Rapid Allergen Test that tests for the Big 8?