What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do we have to notify retail stores of a recipe change?

Started by , Nov 08 2018 02:54 PM
4 Replies

My company changed a muffin recipe to make it less dry so they ended up adding a vegetable puree to it. We're updating the recipes and the retail label. My boss thinks it's the responsibility of the consumer to read the new label, but I feel that if someone consistently buys our product they are highly unlikely to check the new label because it looks exactly like the old one just with new nutrition info. My question is there any obligation on our part to notify the retail stores or consumers of this recipe change?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Inclusion of Climate Change To Management system Standards Weight change during production - labeling rules Inclusion of Climate Change to Management System Standards Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Retail Certification?
[Ad]

hi

Is this retailers brand or yours?

in uk for example every recipe and specification update/change of retailer branded product has to be approved by retailers technical manager 

additionally they are involved in the process of packaging update

I am sure you have to inform them either way

ASAIK there is no regulatory requirement for this as you are not introducing a known allergen (and even then I don't know that it is legislated to do so) but it would be a measure of good faith to your consumers

usually brands just do a label run with NEW or IMPROVED in a star on the package so that the end consumer can see the change

I would think in this case, you'd want to advertise.......there is a benefit to the consumer to have veggies added to the mix!  Your boss is probably concerned it will turn customers away, but this is the sort of thing millennials like in the food they eat

1 Like

Thank you Scampi and Karina, I convinced them to make a new and improved label for the first two runs so I think that should be sufficient.  

Score that a win!

Similar Discussion Topics
Inclusion of Climate Change To Management system Standards Weight change during production - labeling rules Inclusion of Climate Change to Management System Standards Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Retail Certification? If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? Reformulation change and use up of film Customer will not provide their ingredient recipe Retail Labeling How to Change Old Habits