What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Infrared Gun Recommendations

Started by , Oct 12 2018 01:11 PM
7 Replies

HI Everyone, 

We are using Digi Sense IR Guns for the inside of the truck temperatures for incoming loads. 

We have a comparator cup for the calibration of the device and for some reason within a few months all the IR guns are already out of calibration. 

These devices are more expensive to calibrate than they are to replace, so we continue to have to buy new ones. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations for IR Guns that last longer? or any good recommendations for calibrating these devices?

Thanks!
Weeebus

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer
[Ad]

I had a Fluke gun, worked a charm and in 3 years never was out of calibration. Yes, they are crazy expensive to get calibrated!!!  

https://www.fluke-di...red-thermometer

1 Thank

I've had good luck with Thermoworks and they have great customer support: 

https://www.thermoworks.com/IRK-2

https://www.thermowo...-Comparator-Cup

1 Thank

I concur with Thermoworks too (as shared in the above post).

1 Thank

How do you calibrate those? do you do it internally or send them out for calibration?

1 Thank

How do you calibrate those? do you do it internally or send them out for calibration?

Accuracy checks can be done internally by the ice bath test (see second link in post # 3 above).

For further calibration, it might have to send out to the manufacturer.

1 Thank

Ask before you buy

The problem with calibrating infrared is they give you the temperature of the item that the beam stops on..............so you'd have to have a master calibrated mercury thermometre (that is externally calibrated) to calibrate your infrared against..............so probably easier to send out (but very $$$$$)

1 Thank

Ask before you buy

The problem with calibrating infrared is they give you the temperature of the item that the beam stops on..............so you'd have to have a master calibrated mercury thermometre (that is externally calibrated) to calibrate your infrared against..............so probably easier to send out (but very $$$$$)

Yes, we never actually calibrated our IR thermometers, only checked their calibration against a calibrated (mercury or digital) thermometer using the ice bath method or the cup. We sent all our calibrated thermometers out to be re-calibrated once yearly; I've sent the mercury thermometers out to be calibrated, but when I worked with digital calibrated thermometers, it was definitely cheaper to just buy them new every year instead of calibrate. 

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer Infrared thermometers for goods temperature check during receiving? Infrared temp. guns that can be calibrated at home Infrared Thermometer calibration Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared Thermometer Recommendation