What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Honey in product does it require label warning for infants?

Started by , Aug 09 2018 08:36 PM
5 Replies

Greetings,

Our PD group is working on a new project where we will be making a honey based ketchup.  Can anyone give insight into whether or not a warning label should be put on the bottle warning children under 12 months to not consume?

Have checked reviewed 21 CFR 101.17 Food Labeling warning notice and safe handling statements found nothing, checked FDA draft guidance on labeling of honey and honey products.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Organic Honey Testing industry standard for wearing disposable masks in honey manufacturing What action can be taken for broken tamper bands and seals on a received honey tote? Packaging Honey PPE SOP Honey Labeling Consultant
[Ad]

It's not a requirement to put a warning on pure honey, so it certainly would not be a requirement on products simply containing it. You do see it on a lot of branded honey's but that seems to be a CYA measure.

Overall, I'm not sure I would necessarily include it. It's on your ingredient statement for anyone looking for it. I think my determining factor would be whether the product appears to be marketed directly to children or to adults.

So honey and babies is due to botulism risks

As your ketchup will be cooked?? and then have a pH <4.6?? there should not be any risk of your product having botulism

1 Like

So honey and babies is due to botulism risks

As your ketchup will be cooked?? and then have a pH <4.6?? there should not be any risk of your product having botulism

The specific botulism risk to infants is from spores however, so unless you retort the thing, in theory there are spores there. Babies allow dormant spores to grow, while adults need toxin or vegetative clostridium.

Honey does not require a labelling for warning. Kindly checkout my website https://luxuryhoneys.com/ for pure natural honey.

As honey is not a standard ingredient in ketchup are you going to have the word "honey" on the front of the bottle?  I'd think that would be enough for any concerned parents.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Organic Honey Testing industry standard for wearing disposable masks in honey manufacturing What action can be taken for broken tamper bands and seals on a received honey tote? Packaging Honey PPE SOP Honey Labeling Consultant How long will mushroom powder last in honey? Testing for presence of honey in a vegan ingredient Sanitation procedure for HONEY packing Suggestions for Reusable Measuring Utensils for honey/glucose Process Hazard Analysis for Honey Packing