What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Nitrogen as A Processing Aid

Started by , May 03 2018 07:36 PM
4 Replies

Afternoon All,

Quick question on Nitrogen. We use it as a processing aid. Is it required to have a statement on the product bag on/about nitrogen being used? If so would it be listed in the ingredient section? Or have its own section of the bag alerting customers that the product has been packed with nitrogen for freshness, extended shelf life & etc. Is there a specific protocol/requirement for Nitrogen. 

We package organic powders, seeds, berries, smoothies, blends from around the world and package them. Thanks...   

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Nitrogen Purity Testing for SQF Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards Testing of Nitrogen Gas Used in MAP Food Grade Certificate for Nitrogen Used in Production Nitrogen Purging HOT filled PET beverages
[Ad]

www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/NOP%20Final%20Rec%20Inert%20Atmospheric%20Gases.pdf

I'm thinking, that since nitrogen is naturally occurring in the air we breathe  (i'm also processing organic here), and the above link states that its not actually a processing air OR an ingredient (i beg to differ)

HOWEVER, i have never seen a MAP packaged anything that lists the gasses used during packaging. So i'm going with NO you don't need to label 

1 Thank

Good Afternoon,

Processing aids aren't required to be listed on the label, but some trace amount of material may remain the product. In any case, a processing aid is required to be "generally regarded as safe" and nitrogen is a "GRAS" ingredient. 

Source - 21CFR184.1540

1 Thank

Processing aids are substances or additives of natural or synthetic origin used in the production of foods. Nitrogen gas used as a processing aid in a barbecue sauce plant.

1 Thank

Dear Noah Chris,

If the Nitrogen is used to extend the shelf life, then it isn't considered as a processing aid anymore. That's because it still has a function in your finished product: extension of the shelf life.

It's a case of Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) and normally there is specific labeling legislation in your country.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Nitrogen Purity Testing for SQF Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards Testing of Nitrogen Gas Used in MAP Food Grade Certificate for Nitrogen Used in Production Nitrogen Purging HOT filled PET beverages Nitrogen purge of vacuum packaging Nitrogen (NO2,NOx) in Carbon Dioxide Production Nitrogen factors for game including venison and duck Nitrogen, reducing O2 Levels? Liquid nitrogen for extending the shelf life of dried flowers