What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Ethanol usage in bakery

Started by , Apr 11 2018 12:54 PM
6 Replies

Hi

I have notice some of the company have been using ethanol on post bake product to prevent mould growth, as it has got antifungal and antibacterial properties init. but I am wondering if there is any legal limit on the usage..? and also if it has declare on the packaging..?

appreciated everyone input on this please.

thanks

Nadim

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
FSMA - Food Grade Ethanol Production Does anyone know anything on Ethanol spraying for shelf life of bread? Declaration of Ethanol in BOP Ingredients List. Produce Washing with Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ethanol Ethanol Analysis for Distilled alcohol Beverages
[Ad]

Put it in your car, not on my crumpets! 

Here here............one quick google search showed it is not allowed in the UK (nor can I imagine anywhere else)

Perhaps in future a derivative of it maybe.........corn derivatives are constantly being researched

Plus it makes me nervous; the articles i scanned quickly are talking about destroying the penicillin bacterium---I don't like that idea

hi Scampi...

Could you please put the link from google in here, I try to look for it but unable to find that sort of info, Please post the link which shows it is not allowed in UK.

thanks for your help..

Here is the list I could find of permitted substances

https://www.food.gov...umberlist#toc-2

Hi,

this is the list of preservatives (additive with E number). Ethanol as food has to be declared as ingredient (a food which is has colouring properties is in the EU not defined as an additive with E number).

The question is in which concentration Ethanol is really antimicrobial or antifungal in which kind of prodcuts.

So, IMO improving the hygienc conditions (including air) and specification for packaging is working well with bakery products having longer shelf lives and rather high water activity.

Rgds

moskito

I don't know what the labeling requirements are in your country are, but my first question when I saw your post wasn't related to food safety but was "is your product Halal?"  If so, then you need to be sure that the use of alcohol doesn't jeopardize that claim.  

Similar Discussion Topics
FSMA - Food Grade Ethanol Production Does anyone know anything on Ethanol spraying for shelf life of bread? Declaration of Ethanol in BOP Ingredients List. Produce Washing with Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ethanol Ethanol Analysis for Distilled alcohol Beverages