What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

New labels application

Started by , Dec 15 2017 03:20 PM
4 Replies

Hello everyone!

Are you aware of any regulation that would prevent a warehouse from applying new labels for FDA products in a situation where the vendor guarantee additional shelf life? The new labels would come from the vendor; however, they would be applied in facility (warehouse) that it is not owned by the vendor.  I know relabeling is a big NO NO for USDA product since you need to be a USDA inspected facility to be able to do this. However, what about FDA items? 

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Labels and Labelling Procedure Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Does anyone have experience in transitioning from export stamps to self-adhesive labels? Help with incorrect labels Outer Case Labels - Australia
[Ad]

I think if you are an inspected warehouse you could do this in FDA-land. especially if the labels come from the vendor. More problematic if the food is canned or acidified maybe.

Under FDA rules there should be no regulatory reason why you could not apply new labels.  Just be aware that anyone who applies labels (whether they own the product or do it on behalf of another company) is responsible for ensuring that the labels are in compliance with applicable regulations.

Thank you for the responses!

Fishlady: Do you have any link to the regulation or guidance that explains with more detail what you mentioned? I want to discuss that topic at work, and it would be helpful to have some material to go over. 

Thanks!

Silvia

I am not finding the exact reference, but I have worked for companies that perform custom processing and/or apply labels that are designed by the customer, and I have been informed by FDA inspectors that if we apply the label, we are just as liable as the label owner.  I believe this may be related to the fact that FDA includes "labeling" in its definition of "processing" (see the definition of "manufacturing/processing" in 21 CFR 117.3).

Similar Discussion Topics
Labels and Labelling Procedure Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Does anyone have experience in transitioning from export stamps to self-adhesive labels? Help with incorrect labels Outer Case Labels - Australia Form of ingredient to include on labels Allergen precautionary or warning labels Outer Case Labels- USA Labeling software for checking and verifying labels FSSC Environment Monitoring for Oleochemicals products for food application