What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can anyone clarify hazardous chemical storage in 11.6.4.4

Started by , Nov 16 2017 04:09 PM
7 Replies

"In the event of a hazardous spill, be designed such that spillage and drainage from the area is contained"

Can anyone be more specific about what needs to be done to comply with this statement?

thank you :)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Storage temperature of pasteurized milk cooler storage temperature failure Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Supplier Approval Program- Storage/Pick and Pack on behalf customers (suppliers) Recommended Products, Verification and Chemical Suppliers in Michigan
[Ad]

Normally batting is used or other highly absorbent non-reactive materials.

We have a chlorinated cleaner and we have a spill containment unit and the cleaner sits on top of it. You can find them on grainger or mcmaster. just make sure that it will be able to hold however much chemical we have. for instance we have a 100 gallon drum of cleaner and the unit can hold up to 150 gallons. we keep all of our chemicals in one designated place in the building and everything is locked up with a sign out log so we can track where the chemicals are and who used them. Label everything and have signs up for authorized personnel only. I hope this helps 

@Bradley I would be interested in seeing a photo of that.

@Bradley I would be interested in seeing a photo of that.

Examples:

https://www.uline.co...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://store.inters...agaAiblEALw_wcB

1 Thank

We have a chlorinated cleaner and we have a spill containment unit and the cleaner sits on top of it. You can find them on grainger or mcmaster. just make sure that it will be able to hold however much chemical we have. for instance we have a 100 gallon drum of cleaner and the unit can hold up to 150 gallons. we keep all of our chemicals in one designated place in the building and everything is locked up with a sign out log so we can track where the chemicals are and who used them. Label everything and have signs up for authorized personnel only. I hope this helps 

This is a great answer! In addition, have eyewash bottles/eye wash stations.

One more thing, when ordering spill kits, make sure it covers all the different types of hazardous material in your facility. If you have something oil-based and the facility only carried water based chemical spill kits, that might cause an issue. 

I know most people think about it, but just in case you haven't. 

Thanks for the links, guys.

Similar Discussion Topics
Storage temperature of pasteurized milk cooler storage temperature failure Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Supplier Approval Program- Storage/Pick and Pack on behalf customers (suppliers) Recommended Products, Verification and Chemical Suppliers in Michigan Interim storage of food in aluminium bins Minimum air turns per hour in a processing suite and cold storage suite HACCP and BRC accreditation for a UK storage and distribution business Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Is freezer and refrigerator storage considered prps?