What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Units of Measure for Bananas

Started by , Sep 20 2017 09:44 AM
3 Replies

Hi everyone, the company I work for currently sells bananas by the kilo or individually to catering outlets but are looking to change to selling by the bunch (basically this is just to save the time in weighing/counting). I've done some research to see if this is allowed or not but am not getting too far. I was thinking it would make sense if we were allowed to sell by the bunch as long as a specified minimum weight and individual quantity were met (a bunch must consist of at least 4 fingers and weigh at least 800g for example). Can anyone shed any light on this situation and possibly post a link to some guidance on whether bananas and other products can be sold "by the bunch"?

Many thanks,

Andy

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What is the recommended distance between fly control units? Air Handling Units service provider Documentation Labeling of the box instead of the individual units Clause 2.9 - Air Makeup Units Electronic Fly Units in moist environment
[Ad]

Hi Andy,

That's an interesting question. The point which is decisive in this case is:

• Whether the bananas are pre-packaged or not

Because if they are not pre-packaged and presented to the consumer in this way, the consumer can see and judge what he or she buys. And in that case, there is nothing wrong with such a way of presentation.

Putting a packaging around the bunch, even if it's a transparent foil, will change the whole thing (you will need to guarantee a quantity in he packaging).

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Hi Gerard, 

Each individual bunch of bananas would come into us wrapped in bubble wrap, in an 18kg box. Since posting I have spoken to our local trading standards authority who have said bananas can only be sold by the weight or by the count and therefore selling by the bunch (even with a minimum weight and count specified) would not be allowed which is a shame  :(

Many thanks for your input nonetheless. Kind regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

It remains interesting, this question and what a surprising answer! Good that it has been clarified. 

Kind regards,

Gerard

Similar Discussion Topics
What is the recommended distance between fly control units? Air Handling Units service provider Documentation Labeling of the box instead of the individual units Clause 2.9 - Air Makeup Units Electronic Fly Units in moist environment Pasteurisation Units and the relevance to 70°c for 2 minutes Threshold levels of Pests in Food Processing units & Food handling Precautions required when transporting of materials between units Cleaning procedure for refrigeration units Condensation on refrigeration units