What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does anyone have experience of walnut in-shell bleaching?

Started by , Sep 11 2017 08:44 PM
3 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I work at a Walnut Processing/Packing facility and we are currently installing a bleaching system. The system is used to clean/brighten the shell for in-shell walnuts.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this process? I am not sure of the concentration of chlorine that should be used, how we should test it/document it, how often, and what other documentation or paperwork we may need for this type of system. I am assuming this needs to be in our FSM and we need documents to show we are regularly verifying the amounts of chlorine in the system. 

I have researched online some but there isn't much information out there. I was hoping I could find someone here with some experience to help me out. 

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System? Does anyone have experience in transitioning from export stamps to self-adhesive labels? Walnut test frequency Does anyone have experience with 3M Scrub Stick? Does anyone have any experience in the new Anderson PPR System (paperless) in CA?
[Ad]

I don't personally believe in the practice, however it has been used for 50 to 60 years now - all I know is that it is a diluted mixture, but the concentration is elusive - your system installer should be able to determine the dilution.

Here's a good article on the subject --

http://www.oregonliv...bout_bleac.html

I don't personally believe in the practice, however it has been used for 50 to 60 years now - all I know is that it is a diluted mixture, but the concentration is elusive - your system installer should be able to determine the dilution.

Here's a good article on the subject --

http://www.oregonliv...bout_bleac.html

Thanks for the response. 

We are fabbing the system up ourselves but from what I gathered from other local companies who bleach, the concentration is usually 2-5%.

I plan on making a sheet for when the solution is made up, should I just have gallons of water and gallons of bleach or would it be wise to document orp or ppm's?

Now that your dryer is up and running.  Here is a good research paper from the 90's, http://walnutresearc...93/1993_225.pdf

Similar Discussion Topics
Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System? Does anyone have experience in transitioning from export stamps to self-adhesive labels? Walnut test frequency Does anyone have experience with 3M Scrub Stick? Does anyone have any experience in the new Anderson PPR System (paperless) in CA? Does anyone have any information about or experience with Candida valida? Does anyone have experience with Ishida dry fillers? Food Safety Team Leader Experience Does anyone have any experience of spoilage in soft cheese? A negative BRCGS Auditor experience