What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

FSMA - Food Grade Ethanol Production

Started by , Sep 05 2017 09:05 PM
2 Replies

Hi -

I am happy I found this group!  I have already found some answers I was looking for.

I am preparing a Food Safety Plan to meet FSMA requirements.  As we manufacture fuel and food grade ethanol there are very few food safety related hazards but regardless a plan must be in place.  Is there anyone here with experience in this commodity?  My experience is mainly in meat and ready to eat foods so I very much don't want to overshoot the requirements.

Is anyone aware of any generic models for this industry?  Not for the co-products (distillers grains, etc) but for the ethanol?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS Module 13 FSMA FSMA 204 Final Rule SQF & FSMA Plan FSMA- Preventive Controls- Practical example of hazard analysis? BRCGS recognised by the FDA for FSMA Preventative Controls for Human Food Rule
[Ad]

Hi Leslie,

There is not a lot out there having to do with ethanol producers. The beverage side a relatively small industry in terms of number of licensed distilleries.  High-proof alcohol is not a microbe's first choice for a long life.  As far as FSMA goes, take a look at 21 CFR Chapter 27, Sub-Chapter I - Improving Capacity to Prevent Food Safety Problems, § 2206 Alcohol-Related Facilities.  If your plant is in Canada there may be other requirements for you that do not apply to distilled spirit plants in the States.

1 Thank

Hi Leslie,

For the production of food grade ethanol, I would suggest the following aspects to take into consideration:

• Exclusion of presence of methanol or other alcohols than ethanol
  • Foreign body management
  • Avoidance of heavy metals
  • Food contact materials (avoidance of undesired substances from food contact materials)
  • Furthermore there are the environmental safety aspects (for example: dedicated storage, labeling and transport conditions)

I hope this gives a direction to what to look for.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS Module 13 FSMA FSMA 204 Final Rule SQF & FSMA Plan FSMA- Preventive Controls- Practical example of hazard analysis? BRCGS recognised by the FDA for FSMA Preventative Controls for Human Food Rule FSMA Topics BRCGS Information on FSMA Final Rule on Requirements for Additional Traceability Records for Certain Foods Spice Industry Environmental Monitoring Program- Ready to Eat-FSMA Does tea manufacturing fall outside the scope of the FSMA? Differences between FSMA, VQIP and FDA Audits