What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pathogen control in dehydrated flax seed crackers

Started by , Apr 07 2017 11:47 PM
1 Reply

Hello,

We are making a dehydrated flax seed cracker.  It consists of flax seed, water and spices.  My water activity is too low for microbial growth...BUT should I be concerned with spores remaining in the finished product?  If so, do I need an additional process control?

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Help Understanding HARPC's Appendix 3 Tables (Bacterial Pathogen Growth and Inactivation) In-house Pathogen Testing Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Pathogen Testing in a meat processing plant Overseas pathogen testing - reportable in AU?
[Ad]

Hello,

We are making a dehydrated flax seed cracker.  It consists of flax seed, water and spices.  My water activity is too low for microbial growth...BUT should I be concerned with spores remaining in the finished product?  If so, do I need an additional process control?

Thank you!

Hi sruggero,

I assume finished product is RTE, ie consumed without further microbiocidal treatment.

The microbial hazard in finished product could be due to vegetative species or spores depending on the inputs/process.  The potential microbial hazard (if any) is presumably derived from the presence / level of pathogens (if any) surviving in the finished product. 

You need to do a hazard analysis / risk assessment for the process.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Help Understanding HARPC's Appendix 3 Tables (Bacterial Pathogen Growth and Inactivation) In-house Pathogen Testing Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Pathogen Testing in a meat processing plant Overseas pathogen testing - reportable in AU? Pathogen Severity - Serious Illness or Fatality? Combining Swaps in Environmental Pathogen Monitoring Plan Pathogen limits per gram and per 10 grams Pathogen testing paperwork Any tips on how to create a pathogen procedure?