What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Infrared Thermometer calibration

Started by , Jan 27 2017 05:29 PM
3 Replies

Our facility uses the ice slurry method to calibrate our infrared thermometers. We use a NIST traceable red dye thermometer to verify that the slurry is 32 degrees. My problem here is that the K-State thermometer calibration guide does not support this method. Does anybody know where I can get supporting HACCP documentation to continue using this method. The alternative would be to purchase a black body machine but they are very expensive. I chose the infrared thermometers to take external temperatures as our facility processing all raw products. Can anybody help?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer
[Ad]

Hi Scott,

This may seem what a simple minded solution - but it worked recently for one of our clients.

Contact the food safety division (if they have one) of the manufacturer of your infrared thermometers and put this question to them - they should be able to provide what you need.

Hi Scott,

What you may require is a “Comparator Cup”.  

The supplier of your infrared thermometer should be able to sell you one of these. 

The company Thermoworks provides instructions on how to verify that your infrared thermometer is reading properly.  http://www.thermowor...ibrate_infrared  They also sell the Comparator Cup and Portable Infrared Calibrator, blackbody target.  We just use the cup method and it seems to have worked for us, but we are just testing for cold temps, not hot.

However, I agree with SQF Consultant that it could not hurt to contact the manufacturer and see what information they can provide for you.

Similar Discussion Topics
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer Infrared thermometers for goods temperature check during receiving? Infrared temp. guns that can be calibrated at home Infrared Gun Recommendations Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared Thermometer Recommendation