What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Critical limits for metal in a product after blending dry seasoning

Started by , Dec 29 2016 08:10 PM
3 Replies

I am writing a HACCP plan for processing of dry seasoning. 

I am trying to find a the critical limits for metal in a product after blending. I can not find it on the FDA website.

Is there any references out there that might help? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Grading Minor Major Critical Questions used to determine the critical control point Critical limits in seafood HARA CCP and critical limites Establishing Critical Limits CCP for Potstickers
[Ad]

Critical limit should be based on your ability to detect. Reference your metal detector manual. Most often the critical limits are set at 2.0 mm FE, NFE, and SS. I have seen some lower (1.5 mm).

Attached is example.

Attached Files

I am writing a HACCP plan for processing of dry seasoning. 

I am trying to find a the critical limits for metal in a product after blending. I can not find it on the FDA website.

Is there any references out there that might help? 

Hi Ruthie,

i believe the, worst-case, FDA reply to yr query is Nil, ie any metallic contamination may potentially cause the material to be considered as  "adulterated".

The "practical" USFDA viewpoint afaik is here -

http://www.fda.gov/I...l/ucm074554.htm

You will see that the FDA interpretation likely depends on your own/FDA's context.

Many food industries seem to have developed their own  "best practice" answer to yr question whose value likely depends on their own findings/type of metal (eg Ferrous,non-Ferrous,SS). These "results" appear to often be "FDA-acceptable".

As per previous post, the lowest limit of detection (LOD) validatably, consistently available from your own equipment is another generic response which may be acceptable unless yr instrument is archaic.

There are literally dozens of lengthy threads here similar to yr own query. Possibly even one for yr specific industry. Perhaps try a search.

Hello,

Our HACCP plan for metal detecting step as CCP. Critical Limit  states: 1. All product must pass through metal detector 2. No detectable metal in the product

Specimen: Fe: 1.5mm; Non-Fe: 2.0mm; SUS: 2.5mm; These are used for for MD sensitivity verification every 30 mins.

regards,

redfox

Similar Discussion Topics
Grading Minor Major Critical Questions used to determine the critical control point Critical limits in seafood HARA CCP and critical limites Establishing Critical Limits CCP for Potstickers SQF NCR - Critical Limit Not Determined Determine of critical limits Foreign Material -> SS 5.0 mm in sachet products? How do you collect daily critical production data to ensure food safety and quality? Finished product critical parameters for dry aging of beef Can critical limits be defined as a range value?