What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using?

Started by , Dec 19 2016 10:40 AM
5 Replies

Hello there,

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using? If no is there any other alternatives to wash off the chemicals, physical and microbial hazard?

Million thanks.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Under which food category does the manufacture of spice blends fall? Releasing Product Prior to Positive Release Being Completed for Customer Rework of Ready to Eat into Wash before Use ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Approved Grade A Tanker wash stations in CA
[Ad]

Hi,

My best suggestion is to ask for a COA on the spices you are purchasing.  I hope you are buying in bulk directly.  If you are purchasing from a distributor then it would be best to ask what standards do they require before purchasing spices. To me, this is a supply chain concern.  You should be trying to avoid another processing step in your food safety system.

1 Thank

Hello there,

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using? If no is there any other alternatives to wash off the chemicals, physical and microbial hazard?

Million thanks.

Hi jcsl,

Yr OP requires context, eg what kind of raw material, hazards are you talking about ?

Yes, you can wash with water but it cannot remove 100 per cent of all hazards. Nor can anything else. Maybe study Post2.
1 Thank

My concern will be the heavy metal or pesticide residue that left over on the spice. Spices will be like dried chilli, staranise, cinnamon, fennel.  If I do have a COA from supplier, meaning that I could use it directly without washing and add into sauce production? How about it spice repacking or spice blending?

Million thanks.

My concern will be the heavy metal or pesticide residue that left over on the spice. Spices will be like dried chilli, staranise, cinnamon, fennel.  If I do have a COA from supplier, meaning that I could use it directly without washing and add into sauce production? How about it spice repacking or spice blending?

Million thanks.

Hi JCSL,

Afaik typical food processes (including  drying) will not "eliminate" existing significant amounts of heavy metals/pesticides, ie need control of original raw material..

The answers to yr queries IMO essentially relate to the specification of the ingredients / finished product.

1 Thank

Thanks ,

I know what to do now. It was really helpful. 

Million thanks. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Under which food category does the manufacture of spice blends fall? Releasing Product Prior to Positive Release Being Completed for Customer Rework of Ready to Eat into Wash before Use ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Approved Grade A Tanker wash stations in CA Microbiological testing of whole herb (berry, root, etc.) VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Hand Wash Water Temperatures Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free