What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF Level 2 - Addressing "Quality" in modules 2 & 11?

Started by , Dec 16 2016 08:49 PM
2 Replies

I'm extremely uneasy about including the word "quality" in our Food Safety Policy / Procedures. Though I absolutely want us to produce a quality product, I don't want to be audited against anything that level 2 doesn't require, because I don't want to fail our audit or get non-conformances because we don't have the quality aspect backed up with forms / procedures.  My question is: is this justified or am I getting too caught up in the verbiage? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Hi all - new to quality How to Address and Resolve Water Quality Issues in a Food Manufacturing Facility Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement?
[Ad]

I'm extremely uneasy about including the word "quality" in our Food Safety Policy / Procedures. Though I absolutely want us to produce a quality product, I don't want to be audited against anything that level 2 doesn't require, because I don't want to fail our audit or get non-conformances because we don't have the quality aspect backed up with forms / procedures.  My question is: is this justified or am I getting too caught up in the verbiage? 

Hi kstew,

Yes, IMO you may need to exercise some terminological caution.

"Quality" is a word having a variety of interpretations depending on the context.

As i understand, In the context of HACCP as used in the SQF Code, "Quality" has an implicit meaning of "Non-Safety", eg

The main feature of the SQF Code is its emphasis on the systematic application of HACCP for control of food quality hazards as well as food safety.

An SQF System is a risk management system documented and implemented by a supplier of food (or related) products to control food safety risks (and food quality risks at Level 3) using the SQF Code, edition 7.  It can be audited and certified by an SQF licensed certification body.

Yr OP usage of "quality product" and "quality aspect" are (probably) using the word "quality" in a different  ("generic") context. I anticipate that yr "quality product" is equivalent to SQF's  "safe quality food" as per the Title "SQF"

PS - A common, alternative (less-confusing?) nomenclature to that used by SQF is to classify Food in terms of Safety and Wholesomeness.

hi Kstew

i think you are caught up in the verbiage.  Quality has multidefinitions  ( as Charles explained above) you dont need to worry about including the term in any documents. Plus, you wont be audited for something outside of the  registration scope which you have signed and shall review  and resign prior to the audit.

Even if you dont put quality on  a pedestal  (by getting level 3) doesnt mean you stop  caring for it in the level 2

Similar Discussion Topics
Hi all - new to quality How to Address and Resolve Water Quality Issues in a Food Manufacturing Facility Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Has anyone ever heard of Quality being head of Operations as well? Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Supplier Quality SOP - Requirement for communication timeframe Food Safety and Quality Culture Presentation Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System?