What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to determine if cardboard boxes are safe for use?

Started by , Nov 01 2016 07:06 PM
7 Replies

Hi.

I work at a facility that makes sandwich spreads (ham, tuna, chicken salad, and a variety of pimiento cheese spreads). 

I have been given the challenge of figuring out if our cardboard that we use to ship our products in is "safe." These boxes do not come into direct contact with the food.

I requested documentation on their pest control procedures. They use a 3rd party that sprays the break room and offices only.

Where should I go from here with this Vendor?

Thank you, 

Cailey 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen Management for Non-Food Safe Chemicals: Best Practices? How can you determine the overall risk rating in the SSAFE tool’s output sheet, and should a high rating in one area be considered high overall? Is Our Non-Dairy Sweet Sauce Process Adequately Safe for Scaling Up Without Hot Filling? Reuse of boxes for shipping Food Safe Knives
[Ad]

Does your customer have a particular requirement or regulation you are under requiring the packaging musts meet particular guidelines? You could send a sample of packaging to a third party lab for microbiological testing, again depending on what the requirements are from your industry's regulations. I would also recommend documenting this in your haccp plan.

1 Like1 Thank

Hi.

I work at a facility that makes sandwich spreads (ham, tuna, chicken salad, and a variety of pimiento cheese spreads). 

I have been given the challenge of figuring out if our cardboard that we use to ship our products in is "safe." These boxes do not come into direct contact with the food.

I requested documentation on their pest control procedures. They use a 3rd party that sprays the break room and offices only.

Thank you, 

Cailey 

Hi Cailey,

step 1 - You need to generate a product specification covering the food/ingredients/packaging etc for relevant safety-non-safety characteristics.

step 2 - see step 1.

The degree of difficulty likely depends on yr own technical background / available resources ??.

As per previous post an initial input is often, conveniently, provided by the customer/Regulatory requirements.

It depends on what info. you need.

1 Thank

Get a spec sheet from the supplier and depending on who told you to check to see if they are safe - a certificate indicating non-migration of any chemicals used in processing the cardboard should do it.  

1 Like1 Thank

Hello Cailey,

Make a suppliers audit on the vendor's facility if it is doable on your side or hire a 3rd party auditor to conduct an audit on your behalf.

regards,

redfox

1 Thank

We had a similar question come up from our USDA inspector. We asked for and received letters from cardboard companies stating that the cardboard used was not recycled cardboard and were elemental chlorine free and did not exceed dioxin levels according the FDA voluntary action level.

2 Thanks

Hi Cailey,

Being a packaging supplier, we get many demands like yours.

Some clients just want a letter stating that our film is made with FDA/CFIA approved resins, some also request to see what policies/procedures we have in place as far as Food Safety/GMP goes, others want micro test (swab test) done on our film and finally some simply audit us. 

Knowing that your supplier does not have much in place, I would go with the third option.

Regards,

Cris

The other thing to add to this thought process is the transport company who brings your packaging to you....if the manufacturer uses a 3rd party freight company what specs are they hauling under? Are they certified?

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen Management for Non-Food Safe Chemicals: Best Practices? How can you determine the overall risk rating in the SSAFE tool’s output sheet, and should a high rating in one area be considered high overall? Is Our Non-Dairy Sweet Sauce Process Adequately Safe for Scaling Up Without Hot Filling? Reuse of boxes for shipping Food Safe Knives Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Questions used to determine the critical control point Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing How to determine tolerance