What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Worker returning after injury with leg brace...what controls required?

Started by , Jun 01 2016 03:25 PM
6 Replies

Hi There!

We have someone returning to work after a fall that caused a leg injury.  The employee needs to wear a leg/foot brace below the knee.

We are reviewing the brace for personal safety (making sure it is slip resistant), but I want to make sure I consider the food safety risks as well.  

Employees wear a smock over their clothing - we do not have a captive footwear program.  The factory is primarily dry (wet only in sink areas - not in production/packaging areas).

What do I need to consider for this employee regarding food safety?  I am going to assume that the brace is worn outside the trousers.

(While I love to read all of the advice from you wise souls, I am not in a position to change uniform policy or get into a big discussion on that front, so please comment only on the brace situation  :biggrin: )

Many thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Worker rotation in a cold room Does anyone have a recommendation for a lone worker alarm device? Can a worker continue to perform their work with Hepatitis B infection? Can a worker wear a silver religious cross around his neck in production? Level of access for a contract worker, e.g., construction
[Ad]

Hi There!

We have someone returning to work after a fall that caused a leg injury.  The employee needs to wear a leg/foot brace below the knee.

We are reviewing the brace for personal safety (making sure it is slip resistant), but I want to make sure I consider the food safety risks as well.  

Employees wear a smock over their clothing - we do not have a captive footwear program.  The factory is primarily dry (wet only in sink areas - not in production/packaging areas).

What do I need to consider for this employee regarding food safety?  I am going to assume that the brace is worn outside the trousers.

(While I love to read all of the advice from you wise souls, I am not in a position to change uniform policy or get into a big discussion on that front, so please comment only on the brace situation  :biggrin: )

Many thanks!

Hi ksullivan,

Regret i don't know the answer but this will surely be in the jurisdiction of OSHA ?.

I would think it would be acceptable as long as the person still wears slacks and normal shoes and socks.

I would think it would be acceptable as long as the person still wears slacks and normal shoes and socks.

I think so, as well. As long as the brace remains clean from contaminates, it sounds acceptable to me.

Hi there,

My question would be what is different about the brace compared to the policy you have for employee's normal clothing?

Kind regards,

Tony

If you don't have captive footwear I think you already have your answer.

Hi KSullivan,

Without knowing too many details on the brace, I imagine it should be ok to wear. We've allowed people to wear knee braces, back braces, and wrist braces. We're a low risk, mostly enclosed operation, so there's not much chance of anything getting into food.

The leg brace is a lower risk than a wrist brace or back brace, since it's worn (hopefully) low enough that it couldn't come in contact with food. You already have employees wearing smocks, so the likelihood of contaminating the brace and the brace then becoming a contamination point is much lower.

QAGB

Similar Discussion Topics
Worker rotation in a cold room Does anyone have a recommendation for a lone worker alarm device? Can a worker continue to perform their work with Hepatitis B infection? Can a worker wear a silver religious cross around his neck in production? Level of access for a contract worker, e.g., construction Micro. Limits for Worker hands in Food packaging Yeast and Mold limit on Machine and Worker's Hand Requirements related to nose piercing in production worker Sanitation Worker Training Videos Hairnet for maintenance worker vs. Hard hat vs. cap