What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Comparison of IFS and FSSC 22000

Started by , Aug 31 2015 07:44 PM
7 Replies

Hello all,

I am working on a project and I need to compare the two standards IFS and FSSC 22000 and decide which one to use. The food company's main product is the quinoa. 

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Giannis

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Comparison of HACCP 12 steps from Codex, USDA, USFDA, ISO 22000, and HACCP regulations-guidance of Taiwan (bilingual edition) Has anyone done a comparison between BRC-Food V8 and IFS 6.1 clauses? Seeking comparison between all GFSI Certifications IFSQN Website Statistics - Comparison YTD 2019 v 2018 Clause comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 22000:2018
[Ad]

You would be better off to compare IFS with SQF or BRC and not with an FSSC 22000 which is heavily based on ISO.

Glenn Oster

Dear Glenn Oster,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain why, by being heavily based on ISO 22000, makes FSSC 22000 not relevant for the comparison ?

Thank you in advance. 

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois 

Hi Giannis,

I suggest it's because ISO22000 is generic whereas  IFS is (relatively) prescriptive. 

FSSC22000 had a prescriptive  Prerequisite element superimposed via iso 22002 but other than that it remains "ISO-type" ?. 

Dear Charles C.,

Thank you for your reply!

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

Hello!

I would like to ask if the IFS cover any part of the ISO 22000.  For example if a company is certified for IFS and wants to be certified also for FSSC 22000, does it need to start from the beginning and firstly go for ISO 22000 or any part of it is already covered from the IFS certification that was already done???

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

I am a bit surprised about the FSSC 22000 comment. FSSC 22000, like BRC, IFS and SQF, are the major standards within the GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

It has now also the prescriptive elements in ISO 22002 addition. It is not the biggest GFSI standard (BRC is), but it is the fastest growing one. So from that perspective a choice to consider.

You describe that your business is quinoa. However you do not write if you are making consumer product or products being sold business to business. If you are growing the guinoa you should also even consider the Global G.A.P. standard.

For business to business you see more and more a choice for FSSC 22000. This is because the other 3 standards are generally more active in the business to consumer area.

Make sure you also check with your customer what  certification requirement or expectations they have. (for that reason you often see a combined BRC/IFS when they are producing private label for retailers)

Also pay attention to the certification body that you are going to choose. They actually come and audit you against the standard you choose and that is where you are going to have the relationship. You can also invite them for an orientation visit and get their view on suitability of standard.

Good luck with your choice.

Dear FSQNNow,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Well, as the company I am working is a startup company, it is not clear yet which will be the customers. However I will definitely consider everything you said to choose the most suitable standard.

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

Similar Discussion Topics
Comparison of HACCP 12 steps from Codex, USDA, USFDA, ISO 22000, and HACCP regulations-guidance of Taiwan (bilingual edition) Has anyone done a comparison between BRC-Food V8 and IFS 6.1 clauses? Seeking comparison between all GFSI Certifications IFSQN Website Statistics - Comparison YTD 2019 v 2018 Clause comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 22000:2018 IFSQN Website Statistics - Comparison YTD 2018 v 2017 Comparison between 10/2011/EU and 21CFR175 300 ISO9001:2015 comparison with ISO22000 Comparison of allergen adhesion properties Comparison of GFSI Schemes (and Codex)