What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Forklift in Packaging Manufacturing Areas

Started by , Aug 25 2015 08:09 PM
13 Replies

Is there information on the hazards/risks of using forklifts in the production area in SQF? The only thing I can find is that vehicles used in product processing, storage, or cold storage areas do not release hydrocarbon emissions or present a hazard to the product, ingredients or product packaging materials. How do I interpret that? What kind of vehicles are allowed in the specific areas? Also, what is the risk of using the gas powered forklifts?

Thanks.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Risk Assessment on forklift traveling outside Forklift training How to repair Damaged Forklift Seats What qualifies as sufficient Forklift Training? Forklift Cleaning and Sanitation
[Ad]

we are SQF level 2 and we use our forklifts in production all the time, they are electric. 

BRC Issue 7 (and previously, FSSC 22000) certified plant here.  We use electric forklifts in our production areas all the time.  The production forklifts are segregated from the warehouse forklifts.  Basically the same system as a captive shoe/uniform required area.  The production area has two forklifts (one for the manufacturing side, one for the packaging side) and they stay within an area that is segregated by lines on the floor.  They get their wheels sanitized/disinfected every week.  

Deliveries from the warehouse to the production space are via warehouse forklift and warehouse racking.  Warehouse forklift stacks materials in the racking from the warehouse side, the production forklift pulls it off the opposite side for use in the production area.  

It's an attempt at separating the forklifts that enter and exit trailers and those used in manufacturing.  

BTW, there are a few GFSI standards (perhaps all??) that require electric only forklifts in food handling and storage areas (no internal combustion).

1 Thank

Have a look on below link.... :smile:

http://www.ifsqn.com...iven-forklifts/

IF your folks have pencil/pen holders on their forklifts, you may want to check them for candy/gum wrappers.  They are a lovely hidey hole for things....our consultant pointed that out to me.   :blink:

2 Likes1 Thank

Additionally all forklifts should be checked at several times throughout the day for potential hazards such as leaks of the hydraulic fluid that can transfer to the product or packaging or broken glass or taped repairs or dirt in the foot well or torn seating that accumulates dirt; basically view the forklift as another piece of equipment with an operator in your processing area and look for the same hazards that occur on any line.

1 Like

Just an idea.....We've secured small stainless steel baskets on our electric forkliftsto hold portable hand sanitizer bottles. The driver can now sanitize his hands when entering the room, and not have to stop, get off the forklift, walk over the wall mounted sanitizer, then get back on the lift to enter.

3 Likes

Just an idea.....We've secured small stainless steel baskets on our electric forkliftsto hold portable hand sanitizer bottles. The driver can now sanitize his hands when entering the room, and not have to stop, get off the forklift, walk over the wall mounted sanitizer, then get back on the lift to enter.

Good idea.  It will probably keep your forklift steering wheel cleaner too.  I do weekly ATP swabs to monitor cleanliness of the facility, and that forklift steering wheel is always in need of cleaning. 

Martha

Interesting about the sanitizer, what is the value of this exactly?  Are they using sanitizer in place of washing, drying and sanitizing their hands?

Seems like a waste of money if that is the case.

A forklift certification is required by the Labor Occupational Safety and Health Organization (OSHA) law to operate forklifts. If you want to join the heavy duty industry as a forklift driver, you will be asked to get a forklift license NJ before start working.

Thanks

-------------------------------------

Forklift Certification nj

Basically, the impact on forklifts in packaging and food companies is normally about flume off.

Last year I told three new clients to stop using propane lifts in their facility - 1 listened and stopped. The other two did not.

1 had no issue on their audit - the others took hits from dropped them out of excellent.

1 Like

We have a few gas lifts left.  We do an annual air quality emissions testing.   Our SQF auditor told us this year that for gas lifts over 5 years old:  each lift must have their CO output tested annually.   Is this correct?  Is this written somewhere in GFSI standards?

This is a BS statement by an Auditor.  Report it to your CB and that way they will make sure he/she discontinue such things. 

1 Thank

Thank you!  That was the first I have heard of it and I couldn't find anything in writing.

Similar Discussion Topics
Risk Assessment on forklift traveling outside Forklift training How to repair Damaged Forklift Seats What qualifies as sufficient Forklift Training? Forklift Cleaning and Sanitation Technical specification for forklift rental services? Forklift Sanitation and Cleaning Forklift Inspection Records Recording Forklift Hours - is it necessary? 13.3.2 Hand Washing - conformance for forklift drivers