What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Non GM vs GM free

Started by , May 17 2015 09:06 PM
5 Replies

Hi

What is the difference between Non GM and GM Free?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRC Gluten free certfication Food Fraud Database (Free) GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking Radiological Free statement from supplier Hands-Free water tap risk assessment
[Ad]

Hi

What is the difference between Non GM and GM Free?

One Primer+ is here -

http://www.nongmopro...org/learn-more/

Thanks Charles

I have read that website but still not clear.

If we used GM raw material and the process eliminates the protein DNA, can we still claim non-GMO? Most likely GMO screen testing won't detect it in the finished goods but clearly in the process one of the RM was GMO product.

So Non-GMO but not GMO-Free?? Feel confuse :silly:

Thanks Charles

I have read that website but still not clear.

If we used GM raw material and the process eliminates the protein DNA, can we still claim non-GMO? Most likely GMO screen testing won't detect it in the finished goods but clearly in the process one of the RM was GMO product.

So Non-GMO but not GMO-Free?? Feel confuse :silly:

The answer may well be in the product/process/contractual/regulatory details. :smile:

Yes-there is a difference as I found out last year while making a new item for a customer, I thought I was good having certs for all ingredients being non-GMO. Customer said  nope-it had to be GMO-free. This is not technical but what I learned for the ingredients I had to order is that a non-GMO item can't be detectable after being processed. For instance, if it was made with a GM soy oil it then it was processed to the point of non-detection.  I could get a cert for non-GMO only, they, not GMO-Free. So, I had to really research long and hard to find totally GMO-Free ingredients, where the soy ingredient was totally GMO-free so I could get a GMO-Free cert from the supplier. They can be found with a lot of detective work.  So there is a difference; a non-GMO item may have been made with a GM ingredient but is not detectable after processing whereas a GMO-Free item is made with 100% GMO-Free ingredients.  The bottom line is to check with your end customer and define what they really want.  Good Luck.

Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion in this area. I have found it is always best to have suppliers and customers clarify exactly what they mean by Non-GMO or GMO Free because everyone seems to have a different interpretation. 

When our customers request this information we define the terms clearly for them. Our definitions are:

GMO (Genetically Modified Organism): A GMO ingredient is one that contains genetic material that has been produced outside of the organism or possessing genetic material that has been modified in such a way that it does not occur in nature.

GM-Derivative: A GM derivative is an ingredient or processing aid that is derived from a GMO source but doesn’t contain GM DNA and/or GM proteins.

Non-GMO: The ingredient is not derived from GMO sources.

In the "Guidance for Industry: Voluntary Labeling Indicating Whether Foods Have or Have Not Been Developed Using Bioengineering" the FDA seems to frown on the "GMO Free" term being used on labels because they are concerned that it is misleading. They suggest (since this is just a guidance) that it might be appropriate only if it is qualified with a statement like: "We do not use ingredients that were produced using biotechnology".

This document can be found here: http://www.fda.gov/F...n/ucm059098.htm

One last thing.. If you pursue Non-GMO certification through the Non-GMO Project they define "Non-GMO" as:

A plant, animal, or other organism or derivative of such an organism whose genetic structure has not been altered by gene splicing. A process or product that does not employ GM processes or inputs. Cloned animals and their progeny are considered GM, as are Synthetically Modified Organisms. 

Similar Discussion Topics
BRC Gluten free certfication Food Fraud Database (Free) GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking Radiological Free statement from supplier Hands-Free water tap risk assessment Nut Free Facility Requirements Recommendations for Vegan and Gluten Free Certification Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free BRCGS Food Safety 5.4.5 - Regarding Gluten Free Claim Cage free eggs