[Ad]

Risk assessment on raw material

Started by , Apr 08 2015 01:50 AM
5 Replies

Hi

Any ideas what is appropriate tools to manage raw material risk? Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Risk assessment of service providers How to Develop a Cleaning Schedule Based on Risk Assessment? What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? How can you determine the overall risk rating in the SSAFE tool’s output sheet, and should a high rating in one area be considered high overall? Are LED high bay lights suitable for use in plastic manufacturing facilities, and what factors should be considered in a risk assessment?
[Ad]

Hi Sutan77,

:welcome:

In order to get an appropriate answer you will need to provide more information such as the end product.

A simple way to start is to categorise your raw materials according to the risk. As an example for high risk 5 to low risk 1:

5 Materials that are in the end product but are not processed by yourself to remove any identified potential hazards

4 Materials that are in the end product but are processed by yourself to remove any identified potential hazards

3 Food contact packaging

2 Contact material - such as chemicals or lubricants

1 Non- food contact packaging

When assessing the risk the amount in the end product will also be a factor and so will your supplier assurance assessment, for example a history of supply without any issues or vice versa.

Regards,

Tony

2 Thanks

Hi Sutan,

This recent post/thread is BRC oriented but probably still of general interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ier/#entry86714

The equation given near end of post was an attempt to summarize (some of ) Tony's previous comments.

2 Thanks

Thanks for all your replies,

All materials I would like to assess is related to the actual finished goods. Therefore, all of them is further processing raw material to finished goods. We are making biscuits, chips and nutritional peanut bars and around 400+ SKU required to be risk assessed.

I have prioritised them with the $$ value of RM itself (a good start  :spoton:  ) but now need to categorise them based on high-mid-low risk. That is why I need some appropriate tools. HACCP analysis is not sufficed and it will put all in high risk due to microbiology or rancidity. Need other risk assessment tools that more appropriate   

It is unclear why you expect biscuits to be high risk due to microbiological hazards ?. Rancidity is typically not a FS-related hazard afaik.

HACCP as typically implemented is safety oriented.

A version of HACCP which is oriented to Quality/non-safety characteristics is demonstrated in SQF, Level3.

Other risk assessment tools do exist, eg FMEA.

Thanks for all your replies,

I have prioritised them with the $$ value of RM itself (a good start  :spoton:  ) 

Hi Sutan,

If you were talking about an authenticity/possible fraud risk assessment I would agree but I think you are referring to a food safety risk assessment?

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Risk assessment of service providers How to Develop a Cleaning Schedule Based on Risk Assessment? What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? How can you determine the overall risk rating in the SSAFE tool’s output sheet, and should a high rating in one area be considered high overall? Are LED high bay lights suitable for use in plastic manufacturing facilities, and what factors should be considered in a risk assessment? Legionella Risk Assessment in Water System High risk supplier approval FSSC 22000 V6 Risk-based change management process Risk Analysis for EMP program Ozone Transfer Chamber Low Risk to High Care/Risk