What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Product description to include product contact surface

Started by , Feb 10 2015 01:45 AM
8 Replies

Hi,

I've been going through samples of HACCP Plan in this forum but I didn't find a Product Description/ Characteristic that includes Product Contact Surface included in their Product Description.

Is this a standard requirement to include Product Contact Surface? An auditor gave us a non-conformity because we weren't able to include this in our Product Characteristic?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbiological limist for RTE product - raw sunflower kernels Labeled Product for Export Only Example of a Comprehensive Product Description Incorporating Chemical, Physical, and Microbiological Properties Finished Product Description in specifications What is the correct CFR for an enriched macaroni product?
[Ad]

Hi,

I've been going through samples of HACCP Plan in this forum but I didn't find a Product Description/ Characteristic that includes Product Contact Surface included in their Product Description.

Is this a standard requirement to include Product Contact Surface? An auditor gave us a non-conformity because we weren't able to include this in our Product Characteristic?

Dear ddgo,

I don't quite understand the context of yr query.

What is the product ? A detergent ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Charles,

We manufacture preserved fruits. The auditor who inspected our site wanted me to add Product contact surface / tools used during the process of making the preserved fruits. This is to be included under product description. Below is my example of the Product Description layout that I am using.

e.g. 

Product Name: Preserved Banana

Ingredients:

Characteristics:

Method if Preservation

Shelf Life:

Labeling Requirements:

Distribution:

Intended Use:

Target Groups:

Restrictions:

The auditor wants use to include Product contact surface. But I think that shouldn't be included right? Its not part of the product.

I am currently revising our HACCP Plan Manaul...

Can anyone help me with the arrangement of the contents ? We have 6 products.

Introduction to company

Introduction to HACCP

HACCP Scope

HACCP Team

Definition of terms

Product Description

Product A

Product B

Product C

Product D

Product E

Product F

Flow Diagram

Product A

Product B

Product C

Product D

Product E

Product F

Hazard Analysis

CCP Descision Tree

Verification

Records Keeping

Can anyone suggest and comment on this? any correction? Or should each product have a separate manual?

Hello ddgo:

For 'Product contact surface', you can add in the type of packaging (especially the primary packaging material) e.g. glass bottle, laminated plastic film etc.

I think the arrangement of the sections for your HACCP Manual is ok.

Yong

Dear ddgo,

I presume the product Description refered in post3 is same one as in Post4 (ie a HACCP plan page, not a stand-alone Product Specification).

Personally I have always used one something like this example although with more concise inputs in some of the boxes.

http://www.fda.gov/F...P/ucm121105.htm

(A few more suggestions for filling-in here –

product description.png   197.27KB   8 downloads

I agree with  you, “tools” seems irrelevant. Yong’s suggestion is maybe a useful auditor compromise. :smile:

For the haccp plan, I prefer to have a complete, self contained, section for each product (Codex "style"). And maybe saves some auditor page flicking. But it’s mainly a matter of opinion in the end. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

I think Yong is right, by food contact surface, the auditor is asking for the type of packaging. 

I agree with you that product surfaces should not be included. That is part of the Prerequisite Programs (See AIB GMP Prerequisite Guide - Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures. Here's an outline approved by our customers and certified by AIB. Note: No sanitation procedures in the HACCP Plan.

COMPANY INFORMATION

ORGANIZATIONAL CHART

AIB GMP PREREQUISITE GUIDE

HACCP TEAM

PRODUCT PROFILE

PROCESS FLOW CHART

6.1  STORING OF INGREDIENTS & MATERIALS

6.2  SCALING & MIXING OF INGREDIENTS

6.3  BAKING, TESTING & COOLING OF PRODUCT

6.4  WRAPPING OF PRODUCT & DATE CODING

6.5  METAL DETECTING & LABELING

6.6  STORAGE & SHIPPING OF PRODUCT

HAZARD ANALYSIS SUMMARY

IDENTIFICATION OF CRITICAL CONTROL POINTS

MASTER PLAN

CRITICAL CONTROL POINTS MONITORING

CCP CORRECTIVE ACTIONS

CCP VERIFICATION PROCEDURES

DOCUMENTATION & RECORDKEEPING PROCEDURES

CRITICAL CONTROL POINT MONITORING LOG

HACCP DEVIATION REPORT

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENT HAZARDS

PRODUCT AND MATERIAL HAZARDS

CHEMICAL HAZARDS

For Product Description (Profile) this is the format:

General Product Information Description of Product Intended Use and Consumer/Customer Method of Storage and Distribution Shelf Life/Traceability Information: Ingredients   Technical Product Information Preservatives Water Activity & Moisture Content:  Packaging Requirements   Food Safety Information Labeling Instructions Potential for Consumer misuse Describe the potential food safety issues  List any support programs or ingredient product or process parameters 

Charles C is giving you excellent advice. His format for product description is pretty much the same. You do a product profile for each differing product.

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbiological limist for RTE product - raw sunflower kernels Labeled Product for Export Only Example of a Comprehensive Product Description Incorporating Chemical, Physical, and Microbiological Properties Finished Product Description in specifications What is the correct CFR for an enriched macaroni product? Leak over finished product Extended Producer Responsibility laws (EPR Laws) related to product packaging and, depending on the state, certain paper and food service ware product Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Product testing during release as a CCP Releasing Product Prior to Positive Release Being Completed for Customer