What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What it means to be British

Started by , Jan 17 2006 03:47 PM
4 Replies
I can't remember where I saw this but,

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign.

Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do Looking for Ideas to convey what SQF means, on one slide! What is the Swarf mat means?
[Ad]

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

It just goes to show that, even in Lancashire, we're all very cosmopolitan.

There was a gene study done recently which showed our origins:

Foreign?
So Yorkshire folk are decendants of Germans and Danes; funny it didn't even mention us Lancashire lads and lasses. I guess we're thoroughbreds. The article is interesting but quite highbrow until my favourite bit:

The Romano-British were virtually defenceless apart from mercenaries who were themselves mainly Germans (Saxons), and quick to invite their relatives over to share the spoils. To destroy a defenceless population, it is not necessary to kill them individually. Just take a few captives in the first village you come to, skin some of them alive in the market-place, and let the rest of them go to spread the news. A wave of panicking refugees will spread out in all directions, and starvation and disease will do the rest. For analogy, suppose you heard that Martians with invincible weapons and sadistic habits had landed twenty miles away. You would run like buggery!

So Yorkshire folk are decendants of Germans and Danes

According to another gene survey the only true English are the Welsh! The rest of us are German.

By the way my Boss and the company I work for are both German so it's probably true.

According to another gene survey the only true English are the Welsh! The rest of us are German.

I'm confused.

Similar Discussion Topics
IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do IPM, what it really means for your site and what you should do Looking for Ideas to convey what SQF means, on one slide! What is the Swarf mat means? Can someone explain what it means in Management Review (2.1.4.1)? Nail Brush Disinfection - stand in dish or other means? Food Safety and the British Army Raw Oysters and Mussels Sold In British Columbia May Contain Paralytic Innovation Means Looking Beyond What is to What Could Be