What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Advice for Removing Mold Toxins

Started by , Nov 24 2014 01:32 AM
1 Reply

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice on dealing with mold toxins. I often buy food in bulk, and even if I store and preserve early on, some will either develop mold, or already have mold on it. (I can't see every potato in a bulk bag when I buy it.) I hate wasting food, but I don't want to put myself at risk for health problems.

What I've read:

-Mold can be killed with vinegar, vitamin C, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide

-It's safe to cut moldy parts off of denser foods with low water content, because the mold is more likely to be localized around the visible moldy area

-Food with high water content, like tomatoes, likely have mold throughout even if there's only one furry area because we can't see the roots of the mold at first

-The most dangerous part of mold is the toxins produced, which are less temperature sensitive and often won't be killed by cooking

I tried to find a solid answer on whether some of the things that kill mold will also remove the toxins, but I couldn't find a straight answer, and I don't trust most forums. Mostly I'm curious if pickling would make food safe to eat. I already wash most of my food with a solution of white vinegar to prevent growth of bacteria and molds, and I'm as careful as possible with picking food out, but I figure this knowledge might come in handy in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Thank you for all the advice! Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role
[Ad]

You could spray, or dive  the product, witha a solution of natamycin, which is a natural fungicide

Similar Discussion Topics
Thank you for all the advice! Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Advice on becoming a food safety auditor FSVP Need advice on how to proceed Food Defense Monitoring Advice Advice for maintaining bathroom and toilet hygiene