What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Should supplier approval include janitorial consumables suppliers?

Started by , Nov 14 2014 03:33 PM
5 Replies

I have been doing a lot of work with regards to ensuring we have justification and evidence to make the claim GM free, whilst doing my research it spider webbed into the realm of questionnaires and got me asking more questions...

The BRC guide V6 states that (my interpretation) suppliers of raw materials and packaging & Distribution must be approved by which part of this includes must be certified to recognized standard by where this is not the case a service agreement would be drafted to meet several points from the standard to which would need to be verified or audited etc.

So does this approval of suppliers branch out to general consumables and contracted services such as ARCO who supply all manor of safety equipment or say landscape gardener for out site maintenance?

the way i interpret the standard is that for raw materials, packaging and storage/ distribution i would need a questionnaire to be used to assess on risk the supplier. but where the other suppliers are concerned the assessment should be based on not necessarily a questionnaire but more the case a service agreement coupled with registration to the appropriate governing bodies if applicable.#

In any case im thinking that due to size of business i will create one approved supplier list that covers all food related issues as well as contracted services including office supplies which will include all data such as approved status, expiry of certifications where relevant and dates for review / submission of questionnaires.

What do you kind people think?

And on the subject of GM free, providing that all our suppliers are not using GM variants of ingredients this would be justification enough coupled with an annual test of finished product? using PCR test perhaps? (products made = dry noodle, some color and some egg but otherwise nothing too complex.)

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Understanding Costco FSVP Requirements for Supplier Approval SQF Requirements for Suppliers: Need Guidance IFS PACSecure Version 3 - 4.4.6 Supplier Audit Requirements What steps should be taken when a supplier refuses to complete SCARs and provide disposal guidance? Supplier Audit for Gummy Manufacturer
[Ad]

From my experience from BRC auditors, they do want to see that you have approved any and all services. Auditors also like to see that they are trained in a few areas: GMP's, Evacuation Plan, Food Defense, Food Security etc.

Janitorial services should be trained in HAZCOM/Chemical control and SDS should be available for the chemicals used by them.

Depends on what standard you are using.  If the janitorial supplies could have an impact on food safety or quality when they are used , then you probably should treat them as an approved supplier.

In my experience, whether it is a GMP , SQF or customer audit, they want to see all approved suppliers and that everything you buy has an approved supplier. 

I do, and I hold all the COSHH paperwork for everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes every supplier, and remember that includes the people who do your calibrations and laundry.

Similar Discussion Topics
Understanding Costco FSVP Requirements for Supplier Approval SQF Requirements for Suppliers: Need Guidance IFS PACSecure Version 3 - 4.4.6 Supplier Audit Requirements What steps should be taken when a supplier refuses to complete SCARs and provide disposal guidance? Supplier Audit for Gummy Manufacturer Do we include third party manufacturing products in our FSSC 22000 scope? High risk supplier approval Looking for recommendations for suppliers of general laboratory equipment Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Incorporating Outsourced Suppliers into HACCP Risk Assessments: BRC Clause 3.5.4.3 Compliance