What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

AIB a good foundation for BRC?

Started by , Sep 03 2014 03:20 PM
13 Replies

Hi,

We have been audited by AIB for 'Food Safety' for the past 10 years and we have always scored high on our audits.  We have developed a comprehensive procedure manual as well as HACCP plan over the years.  We will be having our first BRC audit in November 2014 since not many companies are recognizing AIB since it is technically not a global standard.  Has anyone ever made the switch to BRC from AIB? Also, since an AIB audit is fairly thorough, is this a good foundation to have when approaching BRC.  I've gone through the self assessment and made some minor changes to procedures (gap analysis) but it appears to be fairly similar.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Craig

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Carrier Sent Finished Good Foodstuff on Trailer with 6.1 Poisons How can I check good sterilization? SQF 2.4.2. Good Manufacturing Practices How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use?
[Ad]

Are you going for BRC food or packaging Craig?

We are going for BRC Packaging, we run both food contact and non-food contact.

Dear craiglbc,

I'm pretty sure some people here will have moved from AIB to BRC.

Is AIB/HACCP  based on Codex ?

Not in packaging myself but I anticipate that the the answer to yr query will be that AIB / BRC standards will be significantly different unless the AIB standard is recognized as complying with GFSI benchmarks (from memory it isn't ?).

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear craiglbc,

I'm pretty sure some people here will have moved from AIB to BRC.

Is AIB/HACCP  based on Codex ?

Not in packaging myself but I anticipate that the the answer to yr query will be that AIB / BRC standards will be significantly different unless the AIB standard is recognized as complying with GFSI benchmarks (from memory it isn't ?).

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles

AIB is not a GFSI benchmarked Food Safety Standard.  AIB is mostly a HACCP inspection where they check over your HACCP plan and your PRPs to make sure that you are operating in a sanitary manner... basically from what I've seen.

That being said, while I haven't worked directly with BRC, AIB is a small part of what a food safety standard dictates needs to be in effect and there may be different ways you will have to go about recording things, training things, etc. 

All of the GFSI recognized schemes can be found here: http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

2 Thanks

Thanks for the response,

I am not familiar with Codex, but no AIB standard is not recognized by GFSI although they did update the standards this past year and my audit was much more vigorous.  I am just wondering if anyone here has made the switch from AIB to BRC and what their experience was like.   

Thanks for the response,

I am not familiar with Codex, but no AIB standard is not recognized by GFSI although they did update the standards this past year and my audit was much more vigorous.  I am just wondering if anyone here has made the switch from AIB to BRC and what their experience was like.   

Dear craigbc,

BRCFood's HACCP is based on fundamental Codex HACCP Principles.

I imagine BRC packaging also (by extension), although as demonstrated on this forum, the interpretation requires some rethinking.

no AIB standard is not recognized by GFSI

typo?

Rgds / Charles.C

Ok that helps, yes that was a typo  :oops2:

Hi Craig,

No exactly although with AIB Food Safety, you do have a very strong foundation for GMP-Food Safety.

BRC demands more on proper and excellent documentation, unlike AIB audit. There are tonnes of paper works in BRC as it covers food safety,quality and legality in one.

Welcome.

AIB can definately be a good foundation for BRC certification, but as noted in earlier posts, there is a significant increase in expectation when moving from one ot the other.

If you haven't already done this, I would recommend calling AIB and asking if they have a support document in moving from one to the other, or that points out the differences. AIB is familiar with both programs, and should be able to at leat give recommendations to investigate.

The other, and far more important is to get  a copy of the BRC Standard, and do your own self assessment against it. It sounds like you may have alrady done a self assessment, which is great. Make certain that during the self assessment you always ask yourself - "what EVIDENCE do I have to present the auditor to prove that I meet this requirement?"

John

1 Thank

Hello Craig,

I was recently consulting for a company that had many AIB certifications (in food manufacturing) and were moving to the BRC scheme. Although I cannot say anything about AIB and Food Packaging, but as far as AIB GMP audits for food manufacturing: the AIB audits did not help them get them even close to BRC requirements.

As is see it, this is because an AIB audit does not have the ISO9001 structure of other global standards (GFSI benchmarks, WQA, Dutch HACCP, etc).  This is often a great struggle for companies adopting the GFSI benchmarks. 

I suggestion reading BRC's sections 1.0 & 2.0 to get a sense of how the ISO structure distributes Food Safety responsibility from just the QA/QC (an AIB "check list" structure) to an ISO structure in which Senior Management is fully responsible in connecting the two.

Cheers,

-B

PS - Although I have not dealt with it directly, but looking over it, NSF's "Supplier Assurance Audit" is a pretty good stating point to get one better prepared with BRC requirements.

1 Thank

I think there is still the question of what your customers want.  We have had AIB on site for 13 years and they remain even with our BRC certification.  Reason being is that they do our HACCP certification audit and also conduct unannounced GMP audits.  THese are botth requirements for some customers.  Yes we have been able to get away from the AIB Food Standards audit, but check to ensure what your customers require.

And yes Bacon is good

Hello Craig, 

I just recently certified for BRC after years of using AIB certification. From my experience AIB is only small part in the BRC standard. AIB is very thorough with cleaning, sanitation and pest management system. However BRC really into documentation.

And I really agree with bacon and john.kukoly. 

1 Thank

we are in the process right now.  It is a very good start!

Similar Discussion Topics
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Carrier Sent Finished Good Foodstuff on Trailer with 6.1 Poisons How can I check good sterilization? SQF 2.4.2. Good Manufacturing Practices How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? Does Anyone Know Of a Good affordable Lab to test ingredientsfor purity, strength, identity, and composition Does anyone have a really good template for a standard operating procedure work instruction? The role of research in supporting good safety practices in the food sector FSSC v5.1 - Parameters in Testing Finished Good Sampling for Finished Good Validation Test