rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:48 PM

Can anyone help?

There is an impending deadline (end of Jan) where operators have to apply to the environment agency for a permit - for CO2 emissions.

The difficulty I have is that the official definition as prescribed in the EU Directive (2003/87/EC) is (surprise surprise) suitably ambiguous! :(

"Operator - means any person who operates or controls an installation or, where this is provided for in national legislation, to whom decisive economic power over the technical functioning of the installation has been delegated"

Where I am having difficulty is that we sub contract our energy / steam production plant which is wholly managed by the said third party. They cover maintenance / running & improvement of equipment. The significant fact is that the boiler plant is on our site.

Our sub contractor is of the opinion that we as the site owner and demander of the energy (to fit in with our production requirement) have the 'economic power' as such are the obligated party.

I personally see the interpretation differently - I agree that we say when we want the energy but does this mean we have control over the efficiency / CO2 emissions of the plant?

Doe anyone have any experiences of this?

Thanks

Richard

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,849 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Richard,

Guess what...I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Regards,
Simon :P

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:46 AM

Don’t worry - I just had a conversation with the EA and they have confirmed we are not obligated.. (Yet). ;)

Anyway - thanks for your insight.. :P

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users