What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Gloves and handwashing

Started by , Apr 03 2014 05:06 PM
10 Replies

Current facility (bakery) does not use gloves, post bake. Discussed implementing glove policy, but after doing some research, unsure if that is the route to take. I understand hand washing and the importance, but would like thoughts on how often are hands to be washed (or sanitized?). For example, operator makes an adjustment to the equipment (pressing a button on a control panel) and then needs to inspect the product. Should the operator wash hands prior to handling the product? Wash hands after touching a 'non food contact' surface? Or ..?

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SKINTX Gloves Acceptability of Marigold Gloves in Food Manufacturing? Can alternative glove colors be used instead of blue nitrile gloves? Gloves Versus Handwashing Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves
[Ad]

If you are dealing with Ready to Eat food, then use of gloves is a must. Hand washing alone does not help you as you rightly mentioned touching any part of equipment or cleaning the floor using a broom leads to cross contamination. You got evaluate the risk carefully in the operation. I would highly recommend to use gloves.

Dear jkoratich,

Of course it may well depend on where you are, ie who is going to audit you.

Rgds / Charles.C

i am agree with all of you, in my experience in ready to drink product,

we prefer use gloves, but like in your case if operator touch machine, and then will inspect product

we add one more requirement, we do spray alcohol in glove again

Yes, the employee needs to sanitize hands or while wearing gloves after using the machine. You can put aside a sanitizer bucket and sanitize the hands if it is about time or distance.

To keep the highest standard of safety and avoid contamination you can use economical disposable gloves.

If the operator touches a button or control panel or other equipment they should definitely change to a new pair before they touch food again. It will keep safe both the food and the employee.

First and foremost you should have a good hand washing/sanitizing plan in place.  Whether gloves are better or not I believe is debatable.  If gloves are being used but are not being changed frequently then they are no better than bare hands.  Nothing beats frequent hand washing as a part of any good plan.  If gloves are used there should be an ample supply readily available and personnel should be trained to changed the gloves frequently.

First and foremost you should have a good hand washing/sanitizing plan in place.  Whether gloves are better or not I believe is debatable.  If gloves are being used but are not being changed frequently then they are no better than bare hands.  Nothing beats frequent hand washing as a part of any good plan.  If gloves are used there should be an ample supply readily available and personnel should be trained to changed the gloves frequently.

Dear Bobwan,

I agree however you might have included "glove washing", ample supply of clean gloves.

Rgds / Charles.C

in my opinion, i think we still need to use glove,

because if our SSOP plan not work, we still make poduct safe,

in my opinion, i think we still need to use glove,

because if our SSOP plan not work, we still make poduct safe,

i believe that you meant using gloves and change or sanitize them frequently (should be written on SSOP plan). If it doesn't work then they become a source of contamination. My experience in canned tuna, we are not using gloves in some areas (i.e cleaning and filling) but implementing SSOP and  time-temperature control strictly

Decide what works best for your site. Whether hands or gloves, they need to be sanitized before 'handling' the food.

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
SKINTX Gloves Acceptability of Marigold Gloves in Food Manufacturing? Can alternative glove colors be used instead of blue nitrile gloves? Gloves Versus Handwashing Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves Control of nitrile gloves Wearing gloves while palletizing Are there antibacterial and washable gloves that can be used as a direct contact with food? BRC Approved Gloves Bakery oven gloves documentation