What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Proposed FDA labeling changes

Started by , Mar 05 2014 06:53 PM
2 Replies

I suspect this is going to ruin a lot of peoples' year, especially having to edit a bazillion labels:

http://www.fda.gov/N...s/ucm387418.htm

https://www.yahoo.co...8029209557.html

FDA proposes updates to Nutrition Facts label on food packages

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today proposed to update the Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods to reflect the latest scientific information, including the link between diet and chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease. The proposed label also would replace out-of-date serving sizes to better align with how much people really eat, and it would feature a fresh design to highlight key parts of the label such as calories and serving sizes.

“Our guiding principle here is very simple: that you as a parent and a consumer should be able to walk into your local grocery store, pick up an item off the shelf, and be able to tell whether it’s good for your family,” said First Lady Michelle Obama. “So this is a big deal, and it’s going to make a big difference for families all across this country.”

1 Thank
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Code Edition 10 Proposed Timeline New proposed rules on Food Traceability FSMA Proposed Rule for Food Traceability Proposed Vulnerability Assessment, BRC7, 5.4.2 New proposed EU Legislation Aimed at Cracking Egg Problem
[Ad]

I actually think the new labels are more aesthetically pleasing, but, ugh, the number of different labels we have...

I don't like the use of the slang term "carbs" on an official nutrition facts panel.  Also I don't like the redundancy of stating the serving size twice.  However, I do like the larger size of the calories.

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Code Edition 10 Proposed Timeline New proposed rules on Food Traceability FSMA Proposed Rule for Food Traceability Proposed Vulnerability Assessment, BRC7, 5.4.2 New proposed EU Legislation Aimed at Cracking Egg Problem FSMA Proposed Rules Comments New proposed rules FDA FSMA - DRAFT Breakdown of FSMA Proposed Rule EU proposed legislation on labelling USDA Announces Proposed Rule to Better Label Raw Meat and Poultry Cont