What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sanitation - top down or bottom up?

Started by , Jan 16 2014 09:29 PM
8 Replies

Hello All:

Several months ago I came across a handful of articles that suggested for CIP equipment and/or items like tables, floor-model mixers, etc., cleaning should be performed from top to bottom...but sanitation should be performed from bottom to top. I could never quite locate the reasoning for "bottom to top" application of the sanitizer

I've been questioned about this and wanted to get some additional input.

"Top to bottom" is logical for cleaning...is this also an appropriate approach for sanitizing, top to bottom? Or should we spray from bottom to top?

We  use a 200ppm QATS sanitizer in a spray bottle for these types of surfaces. There is no specific spray instruction on the sanitizer.

Thanks for any assist.

Regards,

Abbie

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Cleaning and Sanitation in production area What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs Ozonated water in sanitation program
[Ad]

It's all going to run down anyway? :roflmao:   Seriously though, I have not heard the bottom to top on sanitizer and am very happy that they make sure the equipment is covered.    Will be interesting to hear what others have to say. 

Hi Abbie, I think any cleaning or sanitation should be top down.

I certainly practice this in the shower on final wash down. 

1 Like

I recognize this is/was a no-brainer - it was just odd to me to find multiple references regarding "bottom to top" sanitation

Thanks

Maybe somebody can shed some light on it Abbie.

Seems illogical, but there may well be a reason.

Bring it on sanitation experts.

Hi
We are in the process of becoming SQF certified, I have been a one women show for 5 years now I am training a 5 person team.... This question came up recently while reviewing our plan, this is the method stated in the Sanitation Program and what we train our crew in.
We clean "top to bottom" and We sanitize "bottom to top" in our plant, ready to eat smoked salmon, I believe coating the floor & drains first then moving up and never spraying the floor again reduces the chance of recontaninating contact surfaces with over spray from the floor and drains which are a perfect breeding ground for all listeria species. I am very scared of testing positive so for me it makes sense to reduce the likely hood of a bloom from spreading any way you can.
2 Likes3 Thanks

A good cleaning sanitation process goes like this: Foam from the bottom up, scrub from the top down, rinse from the top down, sanitize from the bottom up. While I do agree that it all runs down anyway, the "experts" say that this method leaves little room for areas and debris to be missed. But SQF also says that you can validate methods. So if your way works, and it is validated, than use it. 

Hi
We are in the process of becoming SQF certified, I have been a one women show for 5 years now I am training a 5 person team.... This question came up recently while reviewing our plan, this is the method stated in the Sanitation Program and what we train our crew in.
We clean "top to bottom" and We sanitize "bottom to top" in our plant, ready to eat smoked salmon, I believe coating the floor & drains first then moving up and never spraying the floor again reduces the chance of recontaninating contact surfaces with over spray from the floor and drains which are a perfect breeding ground for all listeria species. I am very scared of testing positive so for me it makes sense to reduce the likely hood of a bloom from spreading any way you can.

This makes sense! Our corporate policies also say to foam from bottom to top because dripping foam may make it look like an area has been treated when it actually hasn't.

I think it somewhat depends on your operation as well.   We're all dry powders, so blowing/vacing is extremely messy.   We're top down for cleaning to control that as much as possible, and same for wet cleaning, sanitizing.   No matter how careful we are though, there's always some airborne.   It's a pita....

Similar Discussion Topics
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Cleaning and Sanitation in production area What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs Ozonated water in sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program 3rd Party Sanitation in Your Plant Does anyone have a sanitation program for trailers?