Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Currently using PAA in the hydrocooler.   Issue is that it is causing some corrosion to the cooper pipes.

here is the process- produce from the field- go through a flume system/ brushes- to remove dirt and organic matter. Clean produce drops into the hydrocooler to get core temperature down.  Basically roll through very quickly.  Then go through a series of sprays ( potable water)   before packed. 

All water entering systems is potable.  Water is changed daily and it is not recycled.

So with the issue of corrosion-  is it mandatory to treat the hydrocooler water?   Can the carrots go through a single spray system after the hydrocooler and spray with PAA then or is it required to treat any water that comes into contact with produce?  

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5673 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Currently using PAA in the hydrocooler.   Issue is that it is causing some corrosion to the cooper pipes.

here is the process- produce from the field- go through a flume system/ brushes- to remove dirt and organic matter. Clean produce drops into the hydrocooler to get core temperature down.  Basically roll through very quickly.  Then go through a series of sprays ( potable water)   before packed. 

All water entering systems is potable.  Water is changed daily and it is not recycled.

So with the issue of corrosion-  is it mandatory to treat the hydrocooler water?   Can the carrots go through a single spray system after the hydrocooler and spray with PAA then or is it required to treat any water that comes into contact with produce?  

Thanks

Dear MFSC,

Not my direct area but i hypothesise PAA = Peroxy Acetic Acid. And acids can corrode, apparently PAA likes copper.

Assuming it is peroxy...,I imagine the PAA is added in recognition that, from memory, the hydrocooler 1st step is a favorite location for a CCP, the control required to prevent pathogen cross-contamination via the input-environment-clean output.

Replacement of the PAA by another CU-friendly anti-microbial is presumably one option but depending on the unit's manufacturing instructions.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS- via Google, I noticed this comment -

PAA Material Compatibility
Never use brass, copper, iron, or galvanized metal of any kind that will contact even the most dilute solution of PAA.

Attached File  PAA Sanitation.pdf   231.44KB   18 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,339 posts
  • 1317 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Dear MFSC,

Not my direct area but i hypothesise PAA = Peroxy Acetic Acid. And acids can corrode, apparently PAA likes copper.

Assuming it is peroxy...,I imagine the PAA is added in recognition that, from memory, the hydrocooler 1st step is a favorite location for a CCP, the control required to prevent pathogen cross-contamination via the input-environment-clean output.

Replacement of the PAA by another CU-friendly anti-microbial is presumably one option but depending on the unit's manufacturing instructions.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS- via Google, I noticed this comment -

PAA Material Compatibility
Never use brass, copper, iron, or galvanized metal of any kind that will contact even the most dilute solution of PAA.

attachicon.gifPAA Sanitation.pdf

Exactly, it is extremely corrosive!

MFSC my advice is to check with the manufacturer what they recommend using.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users