What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sanitation in the UK

Started by , Dec 13 2012 04:01 PM
5 Replies
Hi All,

Does anyone use the term "sanitation" in the UK? I always thought this was an American/Australian term for cleaning and disinfecting, which is the common wording used in the UK.

i.e. make sure you have a sanitation procedure in place....

Many thanks

Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Cleaning and Sanitation in production area What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs Ozonated water in sanitation program
[Ad]
Dear mesophile,

Yes, multiply.

(1) if you mean exactly "sanitation procedure" just google - UK "Sanitation procedure"

(2) if general, Does the BBC count ?
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8045073.stm

(3) Or did you mean in the official food business ?
(a bit harder i must admit, I think UK texts prefer "hygiene", or both, eg
bitespring12 (FSA 2012).pdf   2.61MB   26 downloads (pg 29)

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - a quick google demonstrates, eg wiki, that interpretations / usages of the terms cleaner / disinfectant / sanitizer are globally legion, eg -

wiki - Disinfectants are frequently used in hospitals, dental surgeries, kitchens, and bathrooms to kill infectious organisms.
Perhaps wiki is UK based ?
I think it is much clearer if we speak only of chemicals.

Typically a Detergent is designed to remove food soils and deposits, a Disinfectant is designed to kill microb's and a Sanitiser contains both a Detergent and DIsinfectant. I'm not sure if this convention translates over to the verbs.

the phrase 'sanitation procedure in place' may simply be the language used by the author. i would have used the term 'cleaning' to cover the most appropriate cleaning for the item, area etc. That may be a detergent step or disinfection. Sanitization may be a discription for both these steps whether conducted separately or in combination
George -
I agree with your general definition of detergents. However, with regards to microbial kill, the terms sanitizing, disinfecting, and sterilizing - are generally associated in the US with increasing % kill processing to the right. Products achieving any of the degrees of kill may contain a single or mix of killing chemicals, as well as surfactants, detergents, and/or other chemicals designed to increase the product's efficacy. In the US, products designed to reduce microbial counts must be registered with the US EPA in order to make that claim.

Particularly in US plants regulated by the USDA FSIS (primarily meat & poultry), there is usually a distinction between washing, cleaning, and sanitizing...with sanitizing specifically tied to the use of chemicals to reduce the microbial load.
Dear All,

The original UK poster never clarified his OP so we shall probably never know the relevantly best answer.

Interesting OT's for the Xmas season though.
I have little doubt that USA exhibits a variety of definitions of sanitizer (sanitiser ?) etc in view of the segregated responsibilities at work. i seem to remember somewhere that one US definition of sanitizer required proof of at least 5 log reduction (of "something"), presumably not an operational meaning. This approach would seem to be a more precise basic route IMO albeit ignoring conundrums such as -
http://www.law.corne...text/40/180.940

Rgds / Charles.C
Hi All,

Sorry been a while since I posted.

I don't really have an operation now, it is for University Students. I just wanted to get the terminology correct so i didn't sound wrong. Whilst working in the industry (for 11 years) it had always been detergents and disinfectants, with sanitisers doing a semi good job at both however I am reading more and more student assignments refering to "sanitising". Wasn't sure whether some new phrase had popped in over the last year or so that I was unaware of.

Kind Regards

Simon
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Cleaning and Sanitation in production area What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs Ozonated water in sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program How to build a successful sanitation program 3rd Party Sanitation in Your Plant Does anyone have a sanitation program for trailers?