Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

We are debating the value of a boot wash machine prior to entry of our high-risk areas. The interpretation guide lists it as an exception to captive foot wear but then states that boots should not be worn in low-risk areas. Knowing this, is there any point at all to using a boot wash machine?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 737 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I can't remember the BRC rules on this but I will tell you what I've seen from BRC approved sites and give you the ups and downs.

All high risk factories I've ever been in have captive footwear, i.e. the footwear is not removed, it stays in all of the time. The footwear should be clean when you put it on so there's no point cleaning on the way in. Some factories have a cleaning stage on the way out. This varies and I've seen hand brushes and foot baths, boot washers and also nothing. So, what's best? Boot washers are notorious for harbouring Listeria. They can also throw up aerosols so if you're rewearing that coat you've got on as you're washing your boots later it will probably be contaminated.

The hand washing option is probably a lower aerosol risk and the equipment is easier to clean and change so Listeria risks are lower but then you're relying on people washing those wellies. Will they? That will depend a lot on how closely you monitor.

The last option is to do nothing... but then get a "welly fairy" (i.e. a hygiene person) to clean the boots in the rack. This has the benefit that it's a defined person's job, Listeria risks are probably minimal to nil BUT it's time consuming and IME never gets done.

So all of the options are a compromise. The one which works best in practice is probably manual cleaning, the one which should work best is the welly fairy but personally I never recommend boot washes, most factories I know which have had them have taken them out.

Thanked by 1 Member:

wret

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

It seems like adding the machine before re-entry will complicate the procedure rather than simplify it. Thanks for the response!

Scotty

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 73 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

I work in a factory which has boot washers into high risk. This was one of our major headaches during our BRC preparations as preference is not to have washers into high risk areas.

The washers were fitted when the site was constructed over 5 years ago, as best practice noted and indicated by known establishments.
To change to captive footwear (as per v6 BRC) would have required major capital expenditure and refit. We discussed constantly with our CB and customer and it wasn't until a couple of weeks before our audit that the Position Statements were published.

To prove effectiveness there is as a substantial swabbing schedule (was originally in excess of 200 swabs, now approx 100 swabs a month) covering washer and boots. A 3rd party audit conducted a couple of years ago verified the effectiveness also.
To date there has only been 1 List spp detected per year which equates to <1% overall and <0.1% for the site overall.

Originally the boots for the whole factory were of single colour as we have washers into each area; this was changed to colour code for specific area (high care/ high risk/ low care areas). Therefore the boots are 'captive' to each specific area.

From experience of this, would advise not to have boot washers at entry to high risk areas.

Regards

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users